When will fusion power be economically viable?

• Thread starter tozhan
  • Start date
Can anyone here tell me how long it will be (roughly) until hydrogen fusion power stations are producing energy at economic rates? it cant be far off can it?

thx

I too have pondered that very question, I personally have no idea but hope to hear any info on it.

Integral

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Breakeven has been somewhere between 5 and 15yrs down the road for the last 30yrs. It may wll be 15-20 yrs after breakeven is achieved before comericail plants become viable. Do not hold your breath waiting for this. Being somewhat of a pesimist I think it is about even odds that in 100yrs man kind will live in technology wonder land or the stone age.

agreed, i personally feel the later is more probable. :( Thanks for the info on fusion power stations.

PerennialII

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm next door to couple of fusion guys and the late estimates seem, unfortunately, the likely ones. Any sort of "large scale" (=commercial level) production 50 years, add what comes down the road and all other non-technical & scientifical problems -> really long.

ShawnD

Science Advisor
Integral said:
Breakeven has been somewhere between 5 and 15yrs down the road for the last 30yrs. It may wll be 15-20 yrs after breakeven is achieved before comericail plants become viable.
While doing research for an argument on another forum, I found that the break even point was reached over 10 years ago. I wish I kept the link for it.

Science can never be predected.

The answer depends on when will coldfusion become mainstream.