Exploring the Surface Equation a(x2+y2)+bz2=c in Physics Problems

• Thread starter pcm
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the shape of a surface represented by the equation a(x2+y2)+bz2=c. The participants discuss different values of a, b, and c and how they affect the shape of the surface. They also mention rearranging the equation and trying different values for z to better understand the shape. One participant suggests using a link for further help.
pcm
a(x2+y2)+bz2=c

what is the shape of the surface for different values(+ve, -ve) of a,b,c.
i wanted to know in which class i will come across these things.
i found this while solving a physics problem and i have no idea about the shape of given surface.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would help to rearrange it a bit.

a'(x^2+y^2) = c' -z^2

And then, maybe to start, see what it looks like for z=0, 1 and, say, 2.

Last edited:
ok so for positive a',b',c'
as i go up the z axis the radius of the circle goes on decreasing.
so what is the shape?
same idea should work for other signs of a,b,c

Last edited:
Hi pcm,
maybe this link will be helpful ?
Cheers...

thanks Jorriss and oli4 for your help.

1. When will I come across my breakthrough in my research?

Unfortunately, there is no definite answer to this question. Scientific breakthroughs can happen at any time and are often unpredictable. It is important to continue conducting thorough research and experiments to increase your chances of making a significant discovery.

2. Is there a specific method or approach that can help me come across my breakthrough sooner?

While there is no guaranteed method to speed up the process of making a breakthrough, there are certain strategies that can help. These include collaborating with other researchers, thinking outside the box, and being open to new ideas and perspectives.

3. How can I stay motivated and persistent in my research when I haven't come across my breakthrough yet?

Research can often be a long and challenging process, and it is normal to feel demotivated at times. It is important to set realistic goals, celebrate small successes, and take breaks when needed. Surrounding yourself with a supportive and encouraging team can also help keep you motivated.

4. Is it possible to come across my breakthrough by chance or luck?

While chance or luck can sometimes play a role in scientific breakthroughs, it is not solely reliant on these factors. Breakthroughs often result from a combination of hard work, dedication, and being in the right place at the right time. It is essential to continue actively pursuing your research goals and being open to new opportunities.

5. Will I ever come across my breakthrough if I am facing challenges and setbacks in my research?

Challenges and setbacks are a normal part of the scientific research process. It is important to learn from these experiences and use them to improve your research methods and approach. Many breakthroughs have been made despite facing obstacles, so it is important to stay resilient and keep pushing forward.