Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When you vote for a politician

1. Apr 4, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

When you vote for a politician, do you consider your vote worthwhile, if
    that politician is not accountable or answerable to public opinion? would
    you (if possible) deselect him/her if the policies that he/she campaigned for
    and gained your vote changed?
    How are politicians different from money grabbing city folk?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2007 #2
    Money gabbing city folk don't plunge the nation into trillions of dollars in federal deficit, invading another country so that their buddies can reap HUGE profits,sending the troops into harms way and killing hundreds of thousands of innocent people , I could go on.........

4. Apr 4, 2007 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Would a politician make a move ,if the (city) were not behind him/her?
    one must consider where the real power lies, one elects a politician on
    his/her stated policies (at the time) but the (city) corrupts his/her
    policies.

5. Apr 4, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Doesn't that question contradict the opening phrase? By definition, the accountability of a politician in a representative democracy is the vote. The answer to the question is a straightforward yes!
    Perhaps, yes.
    What is a "money grabbing city folk?"
    I'm not quite sure where you are going with that either, but it sounds like you are talking about how politicians spend money locally. Typically most politicians - city, state, federal, whatever - are elected based primarily on 'what can you do for me?' The "corruption" (in quotes because I'm not certain I've interpreted your usage correctly) is practically a campaign promise!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. Apr 4, 2007 #5
    As Russ said, the accountability is the actual vote.
    Anyway, I think the first appropriate question is how people choose for which representative they will vote. Do you elect politicians based on their manifesto? Character? Party? Staff?
    After you've established this you can ask to what extent the representative should adhere to each of these factors.

7. Apr 4, 2007 #6

Astronuc

:mad: How's this for accountability? :yuck:

N.J. Pension Fund Endangered by Diverted Billions
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/04/nyregion/04pension.html

:surprised :yuck:

How does one get the necessary information on a candidate? How much time and effort?

Well - in some cases - the stakes are high!

Accountability after the fact - i.e. after the damage has been done - is no good!

The status quo must change or we are headed for a crash.

8. Apr 4, 2007 #7
    ^^^^^

isnt that illeagal? like breach of contract or something? it strikes me as criminal one way or another.

9. Apr 4, 2007 #8

Astronuc

It would seem to be a case of fraud or . . . I don't know - 'racketeering and corruption'?

10. Apr 4, 2007 #9

russ_watters

Fraud is fraud and yes, it is illegal if documents were purposely falsified.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?