What Career Paths Can You Pursue with a B.S. in Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Line
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, with a B.S. in Physics, you have a wide range of career options beyond just working in a lab. You can pursue fields unrelated to physics, such as electronics or nuclear power, or even work in the design phase of nuclear rockets. Only a small percentage of physics degree holders actually work in the physics field, with the majority going into engineering or financial analysis. These fields utilize the same mathematical structures used in physical systems, making them well-suited for physics graduates.
Line
Let's say it's 2011 and I've earned a B.S. in Physics. What are the many proffessios I could choose with my degree?

We all know that pysicists sit in a lab but what are the many other things that they do? One thing is that they can go into fields unrelated to physics. Couldn't you get a job in Electronics? Or say work in nuclear power or even help in the designing phase of nuclear rockets?

What a re some typical fields, not so typical fields, and fields that are seemingly unrelated?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only about 4% of people with a BS in physics ever actually work in the physics field. (I should also mention that "sitting in a lab" is really not a good way to characterize what professional physicists do.)

The vast majority do either some kind of engineering work (both nuclear and electrical engineering should be well within your professional grasp), or some kind of financial analysis. (As it turns out, many financial systems are modeled by the same kinds of mathematical structures used in physical systems.)

- Warren

Congratulations on earning your B.S. in Physics in 2011! With this degree, you have a wide range of career opportunities available to you. While many people may think that physicists only work in labs, the truth is that they can work in a variety of fields, both related and unrelated to physics.

Some typical fields for physicists include research and development, engineering, and academia. In these roles, you may be conducting experiments, analyzing data, or teaching and mentoring students. Other typical fields include working in government agencies, such as NASA or the Department of Energy, as well as in the private sector in industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, and healthcare.

However, there are also many not-so-typical fields that you could pursue with your degree in physics. For example, you could work in finance as a quantitative analyst, using your analytical and problem-solving skills to predict market trends. You could also work in the field of data science, using your knowledge of physics to analyze and interpret large datasets.

There are also fields that may seem unrelated to physics, but actually require a strong understanding of the principles of physics. For instance, you could work in the field of patent law, using your knowledge of physics to assist in patent applications for new inventions. You could also work in the field of environmental science, using your understanding of energy and matter to study and address environmental issues.

Ultimately, the possibilities for careers with a degree in physics are endless. Your degree has equipped you with critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills that can be applied to a wide range of industries and fields. I encourage you to explore your interests and find a career path that aligns with your passions and strengths. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

1. What type of degree did you earn?

I earned a Bachelor's degree in Chemistry.

2. How long did it take you to earn your degree?

It took me four years to complete my Bachelor's degree.

3. What was your major in college?

My major was Chemistry, but I also minored in Biology.

4. What career opportunities are available with your degree?

With a degree in Chemistry, I have the opportunity to work in various fields such as pharmaceuticals, research, environmental science, and more.

5. How has earning a degree impacted your career?

Earning a degree has opened up many doors for me in my career. It has provided me with a strong foundation in my field and has given me the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in my job.