Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!

In summary, Glashow coined the term "charm" and it is used synonymously with "bottom." The origin of the term is unknown, but it seems to stem from the elegance of the GIM mechanism.
blechman
Science Advisor
Whence "Charm"?

The quarks have very quirky names! All of them have an origin:

* (up, down) refer to isospin states.
* strange refers to "strange decays" that were, well, strange!
* (bottom, top) are derived from "beauty" and "truth" ("Beauty" still is used synonymously with "bottom").

But I have no idea where the name "charm" comes from. I have heard two interpretations:

1. Since charmonium lives so long, it is said to have a "charmed" life!

2. [From Wikipedia]: "The name appears to derive from Lafcadio Hearn's Japan: An Attempt at Interpretation. Chapter 2 is called 'Strangeness and Charm.'"

I was wondering if anyone here knew which (if any!) is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

In Richter's lecture, he talks about GIM paper and mentions that "charm" had been coined by Glashow some time earlier. The original GIM paper lead me to :
Elementary particles and SU(4)
Bjorken and Glashow
Phys. Lett. vol 11 num 3 (1964)
where indeed one finds the name "charm". None of the references in this paper seems to mention the name "charm" (I checked the 3 first, associated with the first mentioning of the new flavor coined "charm").

If this interpretation is true, oddly enough "charm" would not stem from the elegance of the GIM mechanism (which I would have guessed a priori). Rather, it would first be written in the above paper
A new quantum number "charm" is violated only by the weak interactions [...]
this is part of the GIM mechanism, but missing the main part

If interested in the GIM mechanism, one can check scholaropedia

From a friend:

"Glashow had written an article with Bjorken suggesting a possible fourth quark... 'We called our construct the charmed quark,' recalled Glashow, 'for we were fascinated and pleased by the symmetry it brought to the subnuclear world.' "

The Hunting of the Quark, p. 210.

Glashow definitely coined the term. But beyond that, where he got it from is a source of dispute afaik. I've heard the 'charmed life' and 'strangeness and charm' hypothesis several times before.

The standard model with an odd number of quarks is inconsistent to to gauge anomalies from chiral fermions. Therefore we need an even number of quarks. Perhaps the reason for "charme" is that its discoverey saved the SM from being inconsistent.

tom.stoer said:
The standard model with an odd number of quarks is inconsistent to to gauge anomalies from chiral fermions. Therefore we need an even number of quarks. Perhaps the reason for "charme" is that its discoverey saved the SM from being inconsistent.

that's true, but this is before the SM! Weinberg's paper was 2 yrs later.

The only thing I'm certain about regarding quarks is the derivation of the name from 'Finnegan's Wake' by Joyce. "Three quarks for muster mark..." Color makes sense, sort of, but charm, strange, up, down? How can brilliant people apply such whimsy to something so very dry?

"Color makes sense, sort of"
sort of how?

clem said:
"Color makes sense, sort of"
sort of how?

Color charge has no real analogue in our everyday experience, so why not assign it a value based on something that IS common experience? Red, Green, Blue.

1. What is the premise of "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!"?

"Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" is a science fiction novel that follows a group of scientists as they investigate the strange disappearance of a rare particle known as the charm quark.

2. Who is the author of "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!"?

The author of "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" is Dr. Lisa Jones, a renowned physicist and science communicator.

3. Is "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" based on real science?

Yes, "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" is based on real scientific concepts and research. The author has a background in particle physics and has incorporated accurate scientific theories and principles into the story.

4. Who would enjoy reading "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!"?

Anyone with an interest in science, physics, and mystery would enjoy reading "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" It is suitable for readers of all ages and backgrounds.

5. What sets "Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" apart from other science fiction novels?

"Charm's Curious Origin: A Quarky Mystery!" stands out for its unique blend of science and mystery, as well as its engaging and diverse cast of characters. The story also delves into thought-provoking themes and ethical dilemmas, making it a thought-provoking read for readers of all ages.