Where and how do you volunteer?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volunteer
In summary, the conversation discusses volunteering experiences and the rewards it brings. One person volunteers at a nursing home, park, and hospital, while another volunteered at a playscheme for kids. The first person finds giving to be a reward in itself, while the second person is unable to continue volunteering due to time constraints. The definition of volunteering is also debated.
Loren Booda
I volunteer at a nursing home by leading a group and chatting with residents; at a park by caring for animals and greeting visitors; and at a hospital by overseeing a mental health support group. Giving is its own gift.

What donated time returns you the most reward?

Physics news on Phys.org
I work too much to volunteer... :frown:

I volunteered with a local playscheme for kids for the past two years and actually organised the activities for them last year! Was really rewarding and very good experience in terms of disciplining kids too! + Got loads of free trips to many exciting places and got to meet so many people! :smile:

But moving on to the final year of my degree as from October this year, I can't afford the time anymore! :frown:

Do you also volunteer when you are forced to work without wages? No? I guess my past year doesn't count then :( No reward from it either.. I'll just crawl back into my self-dug hole ;)

Monique said:
Do you also volunteer when you are forced to work without wages? No? I guess my past year doesn't count then :( No reward from it either.. I'll just crawl back into my self-dug hole ;)

Hmm, if you get no enjoyment from it and never really wanted to do it in the first place, then I guess it's not volunteering. I would class it as work experience or CV-enrichment activities! :smile:

right here at PF

1. Where can I find volunteer opportunities?

There are many ways to find volunteer opportunities. You can start by searching online on websites like VolunteerMatch or Idealist. Your local community center or religious organization may also have information on volunteer opportunities in your area. Additionally, you can reach out to non-profit organizations directly to inquire about volunteering.

2. How do I know which volunteer opportunity is right for me?

When choosing a volunteer opportunity, it's important to consider your interests, skills, and availability. Think about causes that you are passionate about and find opportunities that align with those interests. Also, consider your schedule and how much time you can commit to volunteering. It's important to choose an opportunity that you will enjoy and can commit to.

3. What skills or qualifications do I need to volunteer?

The skills and qualifications needed for volunteering can vary depending on the opportunity. Some may require specific skills or experience, while others may not. It's important to read the volunteer description carefully to see if you meet the requirements. However, many volunteer opportunities are open to anyone who is willing to help and make a difference.

4. Can I volunteer remotely or do I have to be physically present?

There are both in-person and remote volunteer opportunities available. Some volunteer work can be done remotely, such as virtual tutoring or social media management. However, other opportunities may require you to be physically present, such as working at a soup kitchen or participating in a beach clean-up. Consider your preferences and availability when choosing between in-person and remote volunteering.

5. How do I get started with volunteering?

The first step to getting started with volunteering is to research and find opportunities that interest you. Once you have chosen an opportunity, reach out to the organization to inquire about their application process. This may include filling out an online form or attending an orientation session. It's also important to communicate your availability and any specific skills or qualifications you have. Finally, make sure to follow up with the organization and show up on time for your volunteer role.