Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where are the other quarks?

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    Hello, everybody. I have a question that is really confusing me: how can they find charm, strange, top, and bottom quarks? They are in the 2nd and 3rd generations, so they are more unstable than the first generation up and down quarks, and unlike them, they are not found in protons or neutrons. So are there presence theoretical, or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can create the heavy quarks in particle collisions. They decay quickly and are not found occuring naturally except in high energy processes.

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    Which particle collisions? Did they do this in the large hadron collider?

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

ChrisVer

Gold Member

LHC is not the only collider. There have been for example electron-positron colliders.

Bottom was discovered at Fermilab. Similarily for top (the hardest there was). Another example for charm, its discovery happened at SLAC by observing the J/psi resonance. This was an electron positron accelerator.

6. Oct 10, 2015 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

This was in the mid 1970s. Going back further, the first "strange" particles, the K mesons, were discovered in interactions of cosmic rays in cloud chambers, in the late 1940s. The original quark model with up, down and strange quarks came in the 1960s.

7. Oct 11, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Protons and neutrons have small contributions from those quarks. In addition to the valence quarks (2 up 1 down or 1 up 2 down), there are sea quarks. This quark contribution can be studied.
    The main production mode of heavy quarks is pair production, however: the heavy quarks get created in the collision process, one quark and one antiquark at the same time.

8. Oct 11, 2015 #7

ChrisVer

Gold Member

I've only seen up to strange quarks....

9. Oct 11, 2015 #8

mfb

2016 Award

The contributions from charm and bottom are smaller as they have a larger mass, but they exist.
    http://lhc.fuw.edu.pl/Stirling.pdf [Broken]
    Slides 55+

Photon + heavy flavor jet is a nice way to measure them.
    W plus top or strange is another option, but W+top probably has a large experimental background from top antitop production and W+strange has up+gluon -> W+strange as irreducible background process.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook