Where are the solar systems like our own?

In summary, scientists have detected around 140 extra solar planets and most of these systems have gas giants orbiting close to their stars. However, current methods of detection only allow us to find these types of systems. There is hope to detect more "sensible" systems like our own with gas giants orbiting at similar distances to Jupiter, but we are not quite there yet. It is believed that all single stars possess planets, and the gas left over after star formation can form planets. So far, most searches have focused on sun-like stars and estimates suggest that at least 25% of these stars have planetary systems, with the actual figure possibly being closer to 50%. There have been instances where young stars have had their protoplanetary
timken
I have a question that someone out there might be able to help me with. We have currently detected around 140 extra solar planets, but most of these systems are a bit weird with gas giants orbiting close to their stars.
It’s fairly obvious that we are finding these systems first because they are the only ones detectable by our current methods. I believe we are close to being able to detect more “sensible” systems like our own with gas giants orbiting in Jupiter like periods, but we are not quite there yet.
In the absence of any cataclysmic event such as the influence of a binary companion, the gas cloud left over after star formation must surely form planets. After all, there must be gas left over when a star forms, and it isn’t just going to sit there for billions of years doing nothing. So if we assume that all single stars have planets, can we assume that those that we have looked at to date which have shown no evidence of planetary perturbations might have planetary systems more like ours.

So my question is how many stars have been looked at to yield the current 140+ extra solar planets. It would be nice if 95% of the stars studied so far have shown no evidence of associated planets.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greetings timken, welcome to PF. One of the more popular methods being developed to detect more earthlike planets is photometry. Techniques such as astrometry and doppler shifting can only detect large masses. These techniques are, however, a good discriminator. Having already found at least one planet orbiting a star greatly enhances the chances of finding others. The photometry method has greater sensitivity [largely due to technological advances] and Earth sized planets are potentially detectable by this method. It checks for changes in brightness due to planets passing across the stellar disc.

Not sure if anyone has published a list of stars checked vs exoplanets found. Most searches have focused on sun-like stars [some pulsar candidates have been found by accident]. Estimates of the probabability that sun-like stars possesses planetary systems range from 25% - 100%. The fact we have found so many good candidates to date [the great majority are within 20 parsecs] strongly suggests planetary systems are common, at least around stars similar to the sun. I would be quite surprised if the actual figure was less than 50%.

Here is an informative link:
http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/planets/

Welcome to PF, timken!

There are also several examples of young stars with the centers missing from their protoplanetary disks (the gas cloud you mentioned). Presumably, the center of those disks are missing in part due to material being swept up by planets.

Here's another resource: http://www.obspm.fr/encycl/encycl.html .

If I'm not mistaken, several of the papers reporting (new) extrasolar systems do give (some) data on the fraction of stars they're watching have given results consistent with planets. Also, IIRC, there was some work done by HST on (eclipsing) planets, in a globular cluster (and M32?), They found nothing, which is interesting because it sets some (weak) limits on planets around old stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a look around the net to see if I could find info on the proportion of stars investigated for planets which had revealed planets. I couldn't find what I was looking for, but I did uncover one reference from a team using the transit method who have detected some planets to date. Sorry I've lost the reference, but apparently in one survey they checked something like 25000 stars over a few weeks in one star field and didn't find any planets. This isn't as bleak as it might appear. If there were lots of Jupiter+ planets orbiting close to their stars I think that this team would have detected a proportion of them.

If my original postulation that most stars have planets is true, then a zero detection rate in the above survey would only occur if most gas giants orbited further out as in our system. In this case orbital periods of greater than several years would be typical, and you wouldn’t expect to see any transits if observing for only a few weeks.

Any way, that’s enough speculation. I’m sure we’ll have some definitive answers in the next few years.

timken said:
If my original postulation that most stars have planets is true, then a zero detection rate in the above survey would only occur if most gas giants orbited further out as in our system. In this case orbital periods of greater than several years would be typical, and you wouldn’t expect to see any transits if observing for only a few weeks.
Don't forget that you can only observe transits if the orbital plane of the system is within a narrow range around 00, wrt the line of sight to the Earth! IF such planes were randomly distributed (in angle), then only a quite small fraction would ever be observed :smile:

1. What is a solar system?

A solar system is a collection of planets, moons, and other smaller objects that orbit around a central star, known as a sun. Our own solar system includes eight planets, including Earth, and countless other smaller objects such as asteroids and comets.

2. Are there other solar systems like our own?

Yes, there are likely billions of other solar systems in our galaxy alone. With the discovery of exoplanets (planets outside of our solar system), we have found many solar systems that are similar to ours in terms of having multiple planets and a central star.

3. How do we find solar systems like our own?

We primarily find solar systems like our own through indirect methods, such as observing the effects of a planet's gravity on its star or detecting dips in a star's brightness caused by a planet passing in front of it. We also use telescopes to directly image exoplanets in some cases.

4. Can we live on other solar systems like our own?

It is currently unknown if there are other solar systems that could support life as we know it. However, scientists are actively searching for habitable exoplanets that could potentially host extraterrestrial life.

5. How far away are solar systems like our own?

The closest known solar system to ours is the Alpha Centauri system, which is about 4.24 light years away. However, the majority of exoplanets we have discovered are much farther away, with some being thousands of light years away.