Where are you on the political compass this election?

• News
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Compass
In summary: Not at all, it's not about who's not racist. It's about the ideology of racism; that race should dictate policy. Anarchists don't believe in any policy; racism or not has nothing to do with their platform.

What was your result of the test?

• Total voters
On Ryan's test, I am a statist, though borderline. I was on the fence on several questions, so flipped a coin to answer. Maybe I'll redo it with the other answer I wanted to select and see how much it changes me.

statist: the marriage of liberal and conservative aspects of big government. Supports both the conservative "family" agenda and the liberal "social" agenda. Supports both major diplomatic and military involvement abroad

attachment.php?attachmentid=52560&d=1351883726.jpg

Attachments

• statist.jpg
    statist.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 752
Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
I didn't answer the quiz. The first question was too silly for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for serving humanity. It's just that if the interests of trans-national corporations are also served, then count me out.

I couldn't finish it either. Too many loaded questions.

Dembadon said:
Yeah, but since we're all answering the same questions, it's more of a comparison of how you compare to other PFers that took the same test. It's just for fun.

I conceder myself as Libertarian/Fiscal Conservative. It is nice to see so many here that lean toward Libertarian.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=3.88&soc=-2.87

azdavesoul said:
I conceder myself as Libertarian/Fiscal Conservative. It is nice to see so many here that lean toward Libertarian.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=3.88&soc=-2.87
Im am certainly not a libertarian. I find the placement of the word in the first test to be confusing at best.

Economic Left/Right: - 3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: - 4.26

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-3.50&soc=-4.26 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
On Ryans:

Your answers suggest that you are a centrist. The yellow star shows generally where you fall within the centrist region of the Nolan Chart.

I think the first test was a little better because it tested for more things.

Here's how I score on Ryan's test:

attachment.php?attachmentid=52561&stc=1&d=1351885841.png

I didn't like the test though. I found the questions and answer possibilities very confusing.

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 612
No surprise here.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/printablegraph?ec=-9.12&soc=-6.77

Updated

Andre said:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/charts/crowdgraphpng.php?Greg_B=-2.1%2C-2.97&Barack_Obama=7.5%2C6&aquitaine=1.12%2C-3.08&Lisab=-3.5%2C-4.46&Ryan_m_b=-8%2C-7.7&EricVT=-5.25%2C-3.54&Borek=-3.62%2C-3.69&Jack21222=-4.12%2C-6.10&Andre=-2.4%2C-3.3&sixnein=-6.62%2C-6.36&Evo=-4%2C-0.9&Rootx=1.38%2C-0.46&MicroMass=-4.75%2C-6.46&Angry_Citizen=-8.12%2C-6.15&Pythagorean=-6.12%2C-4.21&Gad=-2.5%2C-1.33&Decimator=7.0%2C-0.41&Azdavesoul=3.88%2C-2.87&Mentalist=-3.5%2C-4.26&Daveb=-9.12%2C-6.77<div [Broken] style=[/PLAIN] [Broken]

Dembadon said:

Jimmy said:
I didn't answer the quiz. The first question was too silly for me.

C'mon guys, don't worry, we won't make fun of you if you fail the test. Try not to take it too seriously and give Andre more data points.

:biggrin:

Attachments

• Astronuc_political_.png
    Astronuc_political_.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 426
Pythagorean said:
C'mon guys, don't worry, we won't make fun of you if you fail the test. Try not to take it too seriously and give Andre more data points.
OK, but only if it doesn't count toward the final grade.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=10&soc=-10 [Broken]

I couldn't correctly pick the poll because I always hover left-right.

LOL @ Astro and JS

Here you see the problem
http://www.politicalcompass.org/charts/crowdgraphpng.php?Me=10%2C-10&My_wife=-10%2C10 [Broken]

:rofl:

I worry about people afraid to post, what did they get that they're afraid to post?

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=-7.00&soc=-5.49 [Broken]

Here's the second version of Ryan's test. These answers seem to be how I lean strongest.

Still a statist.

Of course, the test has it's own definition of statist. -

statist: the marriage of liberal and conservative aspects of big government. Supports both the conservative "family" agenda and the liberal "social" agenda. Supports both major diplomatic and military involvement abroad

The above definition I mostly agree with.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52567&d=1351897927.jpg

Attachments

• statist 2nd test.jpg
    statist 2nd test.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
OK, but only if it doesn't count toward the final grade.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=10&soc=-10 [Broken]

Ok, now try to be more serious. Is there a knob I can hook you up to and fine tune until I get the result I'm looking for? Perhaps I should ask your wife :tongue:

Evo said:
I worry about people afraid to post, what did they get that they're afraid to post?
Who?! :bugeye:

ahha nvm, saw micro post below me

I wonder why Astronuc and Jimmy Snyder refuse to show their results... What's the matter?? You got the same scores as Hitler and Stalin??

I forget my real score. It was somewhere around 4, -7. However, many of the questions could only be answered in ways that were least different from how I actually feel. So even rounding off to one significant digit is probably too many.
http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=4&soc=-7 [Broken]

micromass said:
I wonder why Astronuc and Jimmy Snyder refuse to show their results... What's the matter?? You got the same scores as Hitler and Stalin??
Margaret Thatcher?

http://www.politicalcompass.org/facebook/pcgraphpng.php?ec=2.00&soc=-1.28 [Broken]

This is pretty much in line with every one of these I've done since I did my first one in Junior High. I think some of my opinions have moved to the left and some to the right, but they've largely averaged out. And I think I'm pretty good at not letting passion affect the strength of my beliefs.

Jack21222 said:
Many of these questions are stupid and cannot possibly be used to pick a political position. For example, the question about abstract art has nothing to do with politics.
How did you answer it?

I disagree strongly with you here. I think that politics is part psychology and the goal of this quiz is to figure out how your brain works. I don't fully understand the purpose of the question, but its existence seems appropriate to me.
Dembadon said:
Isn't that the point of the test?
Ryan_m_b said:
I don't hold too much stock in questionnaires like this. Whilst they can be correct they tend to bias in favour of one side or another simply by the flawed way questions are asked, questions that are flawed and bias/stereotypical scores for answers.
At worst, such a test might be drawn with a center that seems to be in the "wrong" place, but as their FAQ points out, they tried to draw it in a way that would make it stable WRT time and location, lest they end up with a moving target. I tend to prefer a US-centered chart for discussion of US politics or a West centered chart for discussion of international politics, but as long as we're all clearly using the same scale, the relative positions are much more important than the absolute ones -- and are still useful.

I also (again) find it very odd to criticize a poll like this for "bias". Measuring bias is precisely the purpose of this poll, so every question must be designed to reflect/flesh-out a bias!

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for serving humanity. It's just that if the interests of trans-national corporations are also served, then count me out.
Me too. Yesterday, I was going to help a car accident victim, but turned around and walked away when I realized they were driving a VW bug and wearing a tie-dyed shirt! :uhh:

lisab said:
Wow, quite a crowd in the upper right quadrant:

internationalchart.png
I think it would be difficult to be a leader and not be authoritarian.

Ryan_m_b said:
Here's a different quiz that gave me a slightly different score on a chart
http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php

fu3wn6.png
It gave me pretty much exactly the same score as the previous test: conservative/libertarian (in the right-hand box, just above center).

I didn't really like the style of the quiz, as it is tough to make the potential answers all uniformly distributed: that's much easier to do if you give a structured scale for answering each question, as the other quiz did. In addition, it seemed like the answers mixed different lines of reasoning that could equally apply, making it tough to differentiate between them. Still, the two tests had similar results, so I guess they're both doing something right.

-2.12, -3.56

Ryan_m_b said:
I don't hold too much stock in questionnaires like this. Whilst they can be correct they tend to bias in favour of one side or another simply by the flawed way questions are asked, questions that are flawed and bias/stereotypical scores for answers.

Here's a different quiz that gave me a slightly different score on a chart
http://www.nolanchart.com/survey.php

fu3wn6.png
I was exactly the mirror of that along the vertical axis, near the bottom of Conservative box.

micromass said:
In my case, the questions are irrelevant. I'm just passing through.

Astronuc revealed a shocking, dirty little secret in Frankenstorm Chat on Monday. But I don't think it disqualifies him from being allowed to have a political position.

<h2>1. What is the political compass and how does it work?</h2><p>The political compass is a tool used to measure an individual's political ideology. It assesses both economic and social beliefs, placing them on a two-dimensional grid. The horizontal axis represents economic beliefs, ranging from left (collectivism) to right (individualism). The vertical axis represents social beliefs, ranging from authoritarian (strong government control) to libertarian (individual freedom).</p><h2>2. How accurate is the political compass in determining one's political stance?</h2><p>The political compass is not a definitive measure of one's political beliefs, but rather a general guide. It is based on a set of questions and may not encompass all aspects of an individual's political ideology. Additionally, political beliefs can change over time, so the results may not be permanent.</p><h2>3. Can someone's political stance change over time?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for someone's political beliefs to change over time. This can be influenced by personal experiences, exposure to new ideas, and changes in society. It is important to regularly re-evaluate one's beliefs and adapt to new information.</p><h2>4. How does the political compass relate to political parties?</h2><p>The political compass is not directly tied to any specific political party. It is a tool that can be used to assess one's beliefs and compare them to the ideologies of different parties. However, it is important to remember that political parties can also evolve and may not always align with the beliefs of their members.</p><h2>5. Is the political compass biased towards a certain political ideology?</h2><p>The political compass is designed to be neutral and not biased towards any specific political ideology. However, the questions used to assess beliefs may be influenced by societal and cultural norms, which can introduce some bias. It is important to critically evaluate the questions and consider the context in which they are asked.</p>

1. What is the political compass and how does it work?

The political compass is a tool used to measure an individual's political ideology. It assesses both economic and social beliefs, placing them on a two-dimensional grid. The horizontal axis represents economic beliefs, ranging from left (collectivism) to right (individualism). The vertical axis represents social beliefs, ranging from authoritarian (strong government control) to libertarian (individual freedom).

2. How accurate is the political compass in determining one's political stance?

The political compass is not a definitive measure of one's political beliefs, but rather a general guide. It is based on a set of questions and may not encompass all aspects of an individual's political ideology. Additionally, political beliefs can change over time, so the results may not be permanent.

3. Can someone's political stance change over time?

Yes, it is possible for someone's political beliefs to change over time. This can be influenced by personal experiences, exposure to new ideas, and changes in society. It is important to regularly re-evaluate one's beliefs and adapt to new information.

4. How does the political compass relate to political parties?

The political compass is not directly tied to any specific political party. It is a tool that can be used to assess one's beliefs and compare them to the ideologies of different parties. However, it is important to remember that political parties can also evolve and may not always align with the beliefs of their members.

5. Is the political compass biased towards a certain political ideology?

The political compass is designed to be neutral and not biased towards any specific political ideology. However, the questions used to assess beliefs may be influenced by societal and cultural norms, which can introduce some bias. It is important to critically evaluate the questions and consider the context in which they are asked.

Back