Where can I find an Ion counter?

In summary, if you are looking for an ion counter/meter to conduct tests on ionic air filtering units, you could try contacting local universities, environmental health and safety companies, or government agencies in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Mejita
I am trying to locate an ion counter/meter so I can run some tests on ionic air filtering units and get a sense of the ionic charge coming out. I am not directly affiliated with a university or scientific organization, but want to do this to satisfy curiosity and think the outcome would be very insightful. Ion counters sold online are hundreds of dollars and out of my price range for a one-off experiment. If I wanted to test with an ion counter/meter, could anyone make suggestions on what industries/jobs types/companies to inquire about one? Ideally, some university or research facility would have one that I could use with minor training. I am in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I am hoping there would be something near by. Any leads appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, you could contact local universities or scientific organizations to see if they have an ion counter/meter that you could use. You could also reach out to environmental health and safety companies in the area. These types of companies often provide services related to air quality testing and may have the equipment you need. Finally, you could try contacting local government agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), to see if they have any resources available.

1. Where can I purchase an Ion counter?

There are several places where you can purchase an Ion counter, including online retailers such as Amazon, scientific equipment suppliers, and directly from the manufacturer.

2. How much does an Ion counter typically cost?

The cost of an Ion counter can vary depending on the brand, capabilities, and features. On average, a basic Ion counter can cost anywhere from $100 to $500, while more advanced models can cost upwards of $1000.

3. Can I rent an Ion counter instead of purchasing one?

Yes, there are companies that offer Ion counters for rent, particularly for short-term use or for specific experiments. You can also check with your local university or research facility to see if they have Ion counters available for rent.

4. Are there different types of Ion counters available?

Yes, there are several types of Ion counters available, including handheld, benchtop, and portable models. Each type has its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to determine your specific needs before choosing the right one for your research.

5. Can I use an Ion counter for any type of ion?

Not all Ion counters are able to detect every type of ion. Some are designed to specifically detect certain ions, while others have a wider range of detection capabilities. It is important to check the specifications of the Ion counter to ensure it is suitable for the ions you are studying.