Finding Primary Sources for Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics

In summary, The speaker is looking for primary sources on physics, chemistry, and calculus that present the derivation of equations and the thought process behind them. They are particularly interested in sources that include descriptions of the problem, its importance, and an explanation based on first principles. They are seeking sources on classical physics, calculus, vector analysis, and general chemistry to gain a better understanding of the development of science and the discovery of natural phenomena. They hope for clarification if needed.
Forrest T
hey everyone!

i have flipped through quite a few textbooks on physics, chemistry and calculus, searching for one that presents motivates its derivations of equations and discussions of the concepts involved.

primary sources (or those accounts of a theory written by its discoverer) which include descriptions of the problem at hand and its importance, the thought process involved in its solution, and an explanation of the result based on first principles should contain everything i want to know.

i would like to know where to find these primary sources. please include anything else that you think i would find helpful. if you need to know specifically what types of primary sources i am looking for, they should cover: classical physics (mechanics, electromagnetism, vibrations and waves), calculus of one and several variables, vector analysis, and general chemistry. basically, i want to see how people developed science, why things work out the way they do, and how these things were discovered. i hope this is not too vague, and would be happy to clarify.

thanks for your help!

forrest

Physics news on Phys.org
[PLAIN]http://www.mountangelabbey.org/library/images/Library-stacks-700px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What exactly is a primary source in the fields of physics, chemistry, and mathematics?

A primary source is an original document or object that provides firsthand information about a particular topic. In the fields of physics, chemistry, and mathematics, primary sources can include research papers, experimental data, lab notes, original equations or formulas, and historical documents written by the scientists or mathematicians themselves.

2. How can I access primary sources for my research in these fields?

There are several ways to access primary sources in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. You can visit physical archives or libraries that specialize in these subjects, search online databases and digital archives, or contact experts and researchers in the field who may have access to rare or unpublished primary sources.

3. Are there any specific criteria for determining if a source is considered primary in these fields?

Yes, there are some common criteria for determining if a source is considered primary in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. The source should be written or created by someone who was directly involved in the research or discovery, and it should be published or produced around the time the research was conducted. Additionally, the source should provide original data or information, rather than a summary or interpretation of someone else's work.

4. Can primary sources be used in conjunction with other types of sources in these fields?

Yes, primary sources can be used in conjunction with other types of sources in physics, chemistry, and mathematics. Secondary sources, such as textbooks, review articles, and scholarly analyses, can provide context and interpretation of the primary sources. However, it is important to critically evaluate all sources and prioritize primary sources for their originality and reliability.

5. How can I determine the credibility and reliability of a primary source in these fields?

To determine the credibility and reliability of a primary source in physics, chemistry, and mathematics, you can consider the author's credentials and expertise in the field, the source's publication or creation date, and the presence of references or citations. You can also compare the information in the source with other primary sources or consult with experts in the field to verify its accuracy.