Where Can I Find Wiles' Proof on FLT?

• Thread starter Icebreaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, Wiles and Taylor published a paper in 1995 in volume 141 of the journal "Annals of Mathematics" containing a proof for FLT. A web-link has been provided for a copy of the paper, although it is quite large and may be difficult to understand.
Icebreaker
Does anyone know where I can get the actual paper published by Wiles and Taylor concerning FLT?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
i can't remember what the title is but it was published in annals of math sometime in 1994

Is "annals of math" the exact title of the journal?

Yes, it is the name. It was published in 1995, in volume 141 of the Annals of Mathematics.

Here's a web-link I haven't checked out but purports to have copies of the papers:
http://math.stanford.edu/~lekheng/flt/index.html

HallsofIvy said:
Here's a web-link I haven't checked out but purports to have copies of the papers:
http://math.stanford.edu/~lekheng/flt/index.html
I have checked it- it's about 10Mb and it seems to me that it's the proof (i didn't understand a word though!)

Related to Where Can I Find Wiles' Proof on FLT?

1. What is Wiles' proof on FLT?

Wiles' proof on FLT, also known as Fermat's Last Theorem, is a mathematical proof that was published by mathematician Andrew Wiles in 1995. It provides a solution to the centuries-old problem proposed by Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century.

2. Why is Wiles' proof significant?

Wiles' proof is significant because it solved a problem that had been unsolved for over 300 years. It also provided a better understanding of mathematics and the connections between different areas of mathematics.

3. What is the main idea behind Wiles' proof?

The main idea behind Wiles' proof is to use a mathematical technique called modular forms to prove that there are no solutions to Fermat's Last Theorem equation for certain values of n. This technique had not been used before in the proof of FLT and was a major breakthrough in solving the problem.

4. How long did it take Wiles to develop his proof?

It took Wiles around 7 years to develop his proof on FLT, although he had been working on related ideas for much longer. He worked in secret for most of that time, and only revealed his proof to the public after it had been peer-reviewed and deemed valid.

5. Has Wiles' proof been accepted by the mathematics community?

Yes, Wiles' proof has been accepted by the mathematics community and is considered to be a major achievement in the field of mathematics. It has been extensively reviewed and verified by other mathematicians, and has withstood scrutiny and criticism. It is now considered to be a fundamental result in number theory.