Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I find

1. Aug 28, 2003 #1
    I would like to try to locate some cool objects in the sky with my telescope... but I guess I need some objects that are visible with moderate light pollution... I dont live in a city.. but close enough where I get a good amount of pollution.. as well as many highways lined with lights obscuring my views... On a clear night I can see a decent amount of stars... probably a total of 75-150 i would estimate

anyway, how would I go about pinpointing a location of a nebula or some other object of interest? I have spotted out the moon and mars as they are obviously easy targets... I have an orion 8" dob with 6 eyepieces and a barlow... but I am unsure how to navigate to exact points in the sky.. I suppose maybe star hopping? any advice?
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2003 #2
    A lot of people read this but I got 0 responses... can anyone help me out?
  4. Sep 11, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry kleinma...been busy lately. Hopefully someone can help.

Certainly, as winter approaches, the constellation Orion will be creeping up into view. The Orion Nebula (M42) is an easy target* and an interesting one (with a nice set of 4 bright stars hiding in the middle).

* - bright (as far as these things go) and easy to locate by starhopping from Orion's belt/sword...the sword is 3 stars in a line extending down from the belt (which is also 3 stars in a line) and the nebula is in the middle of the sword. Try with binocs (35 or 50 mm lenses) first if it helps.

That's the first one I found when I started out (and I lived in a light polluted area too).

Note that it will just look like a gray cloud (rather than the colorful photos you can get with cameras & long time exposures), but you may recognize the structure from such photos.
  5. Sep 11, 2003 #4
    thanks for the response phobos...

I know the nebula your talking about... as I have a nice hubble poster of it hanging on my wall.. i will take a look for it.. i have spotted orions belt no problem in the past with the naked eye.. stands out around here since there arent a ton of stars in the sky...

really makes me wish i had a killer telescope though...
    I drool over the meade 14" lx200GPS... too bad i dont have 4.5k to drop on it
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?