Where can I hope to be accepted for phd in math?

• Thread starter Benjgi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd
In summary, the individual is a new math major with a 4.0 GPA from a top university and strong letters of recommendation. They are concerned about their GRE subject test score but have high scores in general and are seeking advice on which programs to apply to for grad school.
Benjgi
Hi,
I'm a new math major--I withdrew from college for awhile, switched majors, transferred, etc. I finally realized that math was my passion a year ago. After seeing my GRE subject test (46%) I'm freaking out that I won't get in anywhere. Plus I haven't done any research since I'm so new to the field.

However, I have an overall 4.0 GPA at a top 35 university and should have strong letters of recommendation. My general GRE was 800 Math, 680 Verbal (haven't seen analytical yet, but I'm hopeful).

Where should I aim for?
Thanks,
Cate

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Cate,It sounds like you have a strong academic background that should serve you well when applying to grad school. While your GRE subject test score may not be ideal, the other factors should be taken into consideration too. Aiming for top programs is certainly a possibility, though there may be some mid-tier programs where you would also have a good chance of success. Ultimately, it depends on your research interests and the types of programs that best suit your needs. I encourage you to speak with advisors at your university to get their advice on which programs would be a good fit for you. Good luck!

I understand your concerns about your GRE subject test score and lack of research experience in the field of mathematics. However, your overall GPA and strong letters of recommendation are important factors that can positively impact your PhD application. It is also great to see that you have a strong performance in the quantitative section of the general GRE.

When it comes to choosing a PhD program in mathematics, it is important to consider a few factors such as the research focus and expertise of the faculty, the resources and opportunities available for research, and the overall reputation and ranking of the program. With your strong academic record, you can aim for top-ranked universities that have a strong emphasis on research in mathematics. Some examples include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Stanford University, and the University of California, Berkeley.

Additionally, you can also consider universities that have a specific research focus that aligns with your interests in mathematics. This can increase your chances of being accepted and also provide you with the opportunity to work on research projects that truly interest you. It is also beneficial to reach out to potential advisors and discuss your research interests and goals, as this can help you find a good fit for your PhD studies.

Overall, do not be discouraged by your GRE subject test score and lack of research experience. Your strong academic record and passion for mathematics can definitely make you a competitive candidate for PhD programs in mathematics. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

1. What are the top universities for PhD in math?

The top universities for PhD in math vary depending on factors such as research areas, faculty expertise, and program offerings. Some top universities for math PhD programs include MIT, Stanford, Harvard, University of California-Berkeley, and University of Oxford.

2. How competitive is the application process for PhD in math?

The application process for PhD in math is highly competitive, as there is a limited number of spots available in top programs. Additionally, strong academic background, research experience, and letters of recommendation are important factors in the selection process.

3. What are the requirements for admission to a PhD in math program?

The specific requirements for admission to a PhD in math program may vary by university, but generally, applicants must have a strong undergraduate and/or master's degree in math or a related field, high GPA, GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a personal statement outlining their research interests and goals.

4. Are there any funding opportunities for PhD in math programs?

Many universities offer funding opportunities for PhD in math students, such as teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, and scholarships. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.

5. Can I apply to multiple PhD in math programs at the same time?

Yes, it is common for students to apply to multiple PhD in math programs at the same time. However, it is important to carefully research and consider each program to ensure a good fit and maximize chances of acceptance.