Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where can I see derivation of del operator in spherical and cylindrical coordinates?

1. Jan 29, 2013 #1
    Hi all,
    Del = i ∂/∂x + j ∂/∂y + k ∂/∂z

in x y z cordinate

similarly I require to see the derivation of del in other coordinates too. Please give me a link for the derivation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Re: Where can I see derivation of del operator in spherical and cylindrical coordinat

Hey dexterdev.

This subject is treated in co-ordinate free representations in a subject known as Tensor Algebra or Co-ordinate Invariant Calculus.

There are different viewpoints which range from the purely mathematical to the purely applied.

Some areas that study this are pure mathematics, physics (particular with general relativity), and engineering (particularly fluid and non-rigid body mechanics, statics, and dynamics).

What kind of treatment is closest to your needs?

4. Jan 30, 2013 #3
    Re: Where can I see derivation of del operator in spherical and cylindrical coordinat

Sir , what I require is for electromagnetics (using vector calculus)

5. Jan 30, 2013 #4

rollingstein

Gold Member

Try Mary Boas. Great treatment there.

6. Jan 30, 2013 #5

I dont have that book.....:uhh:

7. Jan 31, 2013 #6

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is one example:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

Many EM texbooks cover t his - check your school library. Also, other "math methods" books tend to cover this in one way or another.

jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook