1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where could I shoot for (grad math)?

1. Aug 12, 2010 #1
    I'm graduating this fall with double major pure math + physics from fsu with a of gpa 3.71 (math gpa is much higher), a capstone physics thesis, and weak engineering research (no publications, no results, basically spun my wheels for two summers).

Math classes I've taken:

Calc 1-3
    Odes
    PDEs 1 (of 2)
    Linear 1 & 2
    Complex variables
    Intro to Probability and Statistics

Intro to Proofs
    Elementary Topology
    Abstract Alg 1 & 2
    Advanced Calc 1 & 2

I have probably the same number of physics classes taken, none very impressive either. I can get 1 moderately strong letter (from adv calc professor), 1 decent letter from professor supervising capstone project, and 1 perfunctory letter from abstract algebra professor (heisuke hironaka's daughter :bugeye: ).

I speak Russian fluently (I have no clue whether that matters).

I'm interested in financial math or something else applied that I can actually get a job with (pure math lulz), which was not the case in undergrad, as you can tell by my choice of pure classes.

I'm also interested in using a master's degree (even unfunded) as a stepping stone to a better program.

I'm going into the peace corps next year (and taking all of my textbooks with me).

I have not taken the GRE yet but I'm not really worried about either the general or the subject because I'll have the 2 years in the peacecorps to review everything I've learned.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted