Propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential

In summary, the homework statement is that there is a propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential, \phi = sin(kx - \omega t) . What other fields result when it is assumed the magnetic potential, \textbf{A} is everywhere constant?
Phrak

Homework Statement

There is a propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential, [tex] \phi = sin(kx - \omega t) [/tex]. What other fields result when it is assume the magnetic potential, [tex]\textbf{A}[/tex] is everywhere constant?

[tex]\phi[/tex], Coulomb potential
[tex]\textbf{B}[/tex], magnetic field strength
[tex]\textbf{E}[/tex], electric field strength
[tex]\textbf{A}[/tex], magnetic potential
[tex]\textbf{J}[/tex], current density
[tex]c[/tex], speed of light in a vacuum
[itex]\rho[/itex], charge density

Homework Equations

[tex] \nabla\times\textbf{B} - (1/c) \partial \textbf{E} / \partial t = \textbf{J} [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \cdot \textbf{E} = \rho [/tex]
[tex] \nabla\times\textbf{E} + (1/c) \partial \textbf{B} / \partial t = \textbf{0} [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \cdot \textbf{B} = 0 [/tex] ,
where
[tex] \textbf{E} = - \nabla \phi - (1/c) \partial \textbf{A} / \partial t [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{B} = \nabla \times \textbf{A} [/tex]
and
[tex] \omega/k = c [/tex] .

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting with
[tex] \phi = sin(kx - \omega t) [/tex] , and [tex] \textbf{A} = \textbf{0} [/tex] ,
I get
[tex]\textbf{E} = -kx\ cos(kx - \omega t) [/tex]
[tex]\textbf{B} = \textbf{0} [/tex]
[tex]\textbf{J} = (-k \omega /c) sin(kx- \omega t) [/tex]
[tex]\rho = k^2 sin(kx- \omega t) [/tex] .

But in each case the velocity of propagation is [tex]c=\omega/k[/tex]. This includes nonzero charge density [tex]\rho[/tex] traveling at c, so I came up with a nonphysical solution. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
There was no intent to be misleading, but the problem is my own--not a school problem. That's exceptable under the guidelines, right?

I think the problem set-up itself must be nonphysical. That is, [tex] \phi = sin(kx - \omega t) [/tex] with [tex] \textbf{A} = \textbf{0} [/tex] can't exist alone somehow.

It's easy to see how one could generate fairly planar waves in Phi between the plates of two capacitors. But a changing electric field over time, as it oscillates, would produce a corresponding B magnetic field that runs in hoops around the centerline of the capacitor.

I dunno, but perhaps there is no physical way to apply an additional oscillating magnetic field so that [tex]\textbf{B}_{cap} + \textbf{B}_{additional} = \textbf{0}[/tex] over at least some small region.

I don't think one could prove it one way or the other.

Last edited:
[tex]\textbf{REGRESSION_{REGRESSION}}[/tex]

I see no one cares to solve this, so I'll just clean-up the math and logical errors.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a planar wave in [tex]\phi[/tex] (assumed propagating in the x-direction),

[tex] \phi = sin(kx - \omega t) \hat{\textbf{i}}[/tex] .

[tex] \textbf{E} = - \nabla\phi [/tex]
[tex] E_{x} = - \partial \phi / \partial x \ \ \ \ \ \ E_{y} = 0 \ \ \ \ \ \ E_{z} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{E} = E_{x} \hat{\textbf{i}} [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{E} = -k \ cos(kx - \omega t)\hat{\textbf{i}} [/tex]

From [tex] \nabla\times\textbf{B} - (1/c) \partial \textbf{E} / \partial t = \textbf{J}[/tex] and [tex] \textbf{B} = \textbf{0} [/tex] :

[tex] \textbf{J} = - (1/c) \partial \textbf{E} / \partial t[/tex]
[tex] \textbf{J} = (k \omega /c) sin(kx- \omega t) [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{J} = sin(kx- \omega t) [/tex]

From [tex] \nabla \cdot \textbf{E} = \rho [/tex]:

[tex] \nabla \cdot \textbf{E} = \partial E_{x} / \partial x [/tex]

[tex] \rho = k^2 sin(kx- \omega t) [/tex]

4. An attempt at analysis

[tex] \nabla\times\textbf{E} = 0[/tex]
so that
[tex] (1/c) \partial \textbf{B} / \partial t = \textbf{0} [/tex]

This means that the requirement that the magnetic field be zero is consistent.

My original analysis was wrong. There are no hoops of magnetic field generated when the capacitor plate is uniformly charged. Obtained is a non-physical result.

I am left to conclude that maxwell's equations of electromagnetism, based upon a 4-vector potential, are incomplete.

Last edited:

1. What is a propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential?

A propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential is a type of electromagnetic wave that travels through space and is generated by a charged particle. It is characterized by its electric and magnetic fields oscillating perpendicular to each other and to the direction of travel.

2. How is a propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential different from other types of waves?

A propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential is different from other types of waves, such as sound or water waves, because it does not require a medium to travel through. It can propagate through a vacuum, unlike other waves which need a medium to travel through.

3. What is the significance of the Coulomb potential in relation to propagating planar waves?

The Coulomb potential, also known as the electric potential, is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is directly related to the strength and direction of the electric field in a propagating planar wave. It helps determine the behavior and characteristics of the wave as it travels through space.

4. How is a propagating planar wave of the Coulomb potential used in scientific research?

Propagating planar waves of the Coulomb potential have a wide range of applications in scientific research, particularly in the fields of optics and telecommunications. They are used in experiments to study the properties of light and to transmit information in the form of electromagnetic signals.

5. Can propagating planar waves of the Coulomb potential be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, propagating planar waves of the Coulomb potential can be manipulated and controlled through various techniques, such as by using lenses or mirrors. This allows for the focusing and shaping of the wave, which is useful in applications such as imaging and data transmission.