Uncovering the Origins of Pi: A Closer Look at Archimedes' Approximation

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, pi is a mathematical constant representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is commonly approximated as 3.141592654, but has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point. It has been historically defined as both the ratio of circumference to diameter and the area of a circle of radius 1. Mathematician Archimedes famously approximated pi using polygons and developed algorithms for calculating its value.
decibel
what does pi mean, and where did it come from, i know its 3.141592654, but i also know there's a lot more decimal places then that, does anyone know anything about it?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Funny coincidence.I just finished watching that movie a couple of nights ago. I believe the number goes to infinity after the decimal point.

what does pi mean

When I was in 7th grade, I learned that pi was the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle. I still think it means that today.

The_Professional said:
I believe the number goes to infinity after the decimal point.

I know you mean no harm, but just be careful how you phrase it. It is true that there is an infinity of digits after the decimal point, but, in math, "goes to infinity" usually means that the quantity itself grows without bound, while pi is no larger than 3.2.

ahrkron said:
I know you mean no harm, but just be careful how you phrase it. It is true that there is an infinity of digits after the decimal point, but, in math, "goes to infinity" usually means that the quantity itself grows without bound, while pi is no larger than 3.2.

Thanks for clearing that out :)

My question is this: is PI defined as the ratio of circumference to diameter, or as the area of a circle of radius 1?

It seems easier to define it as the area of a unit circle, as we can then approximate to the value of PI.

vertigo said:
My question is this: is PI defined as the ratio of circumference to diameter, or as the area of a circle of radius 1?
Since the two are the same, it doesn't really matter. In practice, the ratio of diameter to circumference is much easier to deal with than the ratio of square of radius to area.

Historically, I believe the circumference to diameter ratio was the definition. Archimedes is reputed to have approximated pi by approximating the circumference by many sided polygons.

Actually, Archimedes proved the important result that the constant of proportionality between the diameter and the circumference and the constant of proportionality between the squared radius and the circle's area was the same proportionality constant (pi).
(He showed that the area of the circle had to be equal the area of the right angled triangle with base equal to circumference and height equal to radius.)

He then proceeded as mathman says.

I wouldn't use the word "reputed"! Archimedes definitely did approximate pi by using polygons with up to 96 sides. He did not (as I foolishly thought until recently) actually draw huge polygons and measure the sides! He developed an algorithm for calculating the length of a side of a polygon of 2n sides in terms of the length of side of a polygon of n sides inscribed in the same circle (96= 6*24 and the side of a hexagon is the same as the radius of the circle). He also developed an algorithm for finding upper and lower bounds on square roots since his other algorithm involved square roots. He showed that pi is between 223/71 and 22/7.

1. What is the origin of pi?

Pi is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It has been studied and used in mathematics for thousands of years, with its earliest known calculation dating back to ancient Babylon and Egypt.

2. How was pi first discovered?

The ancient Greek mathematician Archimedes is credited with first approximating the value of pi around 250 BC. He used a method of inscribing and circumscribing polygons within a circle to calculate an upper and lower bound for pi.

3. Why is pi irrational?

A number is considered irrational if it cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Pi is irrational because it has an infinite and non-repeating decimal expansion, meaning it cannot be represented as a fraction.

4. How many digits of pi have been calculated?

The record for the most digits of pi calculated is over 31 trillion, and it is still being calculated to this day. However, for most practical purposes, using the first few digits (3.14) is sufficient for calculations.

5. What is the significance of pi?

Pi is a fundamental constant in mathematics and is used in various fields such as geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It has practical applications in engineering, physics, and other sciences. It also has cultural significance and has been celebrated on "Pi Day" (March 14th) by mathematicians and enthusiasts around the world.