Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

LaTeX Where did the sandbox go?

1. Apr 12, 2016 #1
    I would like to practice with LaTex and the link to the sandbox is no good. Point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2016 #2

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What link are you talking about?

4. Apr 12, 2016 #3

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Apr 12, 2016 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

6. Apr 12, 2016 #5

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hmm . . . I wanted to try overleaf, but the free plan doesn't give you that much :(

7. Apr 12, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Huh?? I've written many assignments and research papers using overleaf. I never paid a single thing.

8. Apr 12, 2016 #7

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, I’ve created a lot of free accounts that only gave 1GB of data and I used it all up in less than a month.
    I suppose documents are different from image files, though.

9. Apr 12, 2016 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yeah sure, if you're planning to use overleaf to save images or to make a LaTeX document that's basically an image book, then you'll use it up fairly quickly. Right now, I have 20 LaTeX documents on my overleaf account. Many of which have about 10 images. I'm not even close to filling up 1/3 of the 1GB requirement.

On my computer, I also have an entire probability course with about 400 (low-quality) images and 2000 pages. Its size is 25MB. So trust me, 1GB is a lot of space in this context.

10. Apr 12, 2016 #9

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yeah, okay. Guess I'll give overleaf a go then!

(400 low-quality images?? That's nothing! :smile:)

11. Apr 12, 2016 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not sure what kind of text you are going to write with more than 400 images.....

12. Apr 12, 2016 #11

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ah, you misunderstood. The previous accounts I made had nothing to do with LaTeX. I have no intention of adding images to LaTeX documents, either. I was just talking about images in my PC in general--I’m constantly creating new ones it slowing down my computer greatly.

13. Apr 12, 2016 #12
    Another possibility is http://www.sharelatex.com
    Lately I've encountered their documentation when doing searches for issues. (Along side stackexchange ofcourse)
    I used it as well and it's quite handy. Although I do use offline editing for big documents, dual screens don't work with sharelatex as far as I can see.

14. Apr 13, 2016 #13
    Sandbox
    If you wish to practice writing LaTeX or test some code, a sandbox is available http://www.physicsforums.com/mathjax/test/preview.html [Broken]. Please do not create threads just to practice LaTeX

This one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  15. Apr 13, 2016 #14
    Sorry this has been offline for a bit.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  16. Apr 13, 2016 #15

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh! Well, I didn't even know that something on PF like that existed o_O

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  17. Apr 14, 2016 #16

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you want to practice LaTeX on PF, just start a post and click the "Preview..." button to see what it looks like. All the work is done on your computer via Javascript, so PF's servers don't take a performance hit for it. (at least that's my understanding of it) Just don't hit the "Post Reply" button if you don't actually want to post it!

18. Apr 14, 2016 #17
    Thanks JT.

19. Apr 14, 2016 #18

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Quarky, I'm puzzled. In what way do images slow your computer down? I have well over 200,000 images on my computer, many of them full sized right out of the camera, and it has no effect on the speed of my computer, which is why I'm wondering what's happening with your computer.

20. Apr 14, 2016 #19

ProfuselyQuarky

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, my images are huge (sometimes twice as large as photos from a camera) and most of them are in really high resolution. Besides that, the original images’ file extensions support layers so I can edit them (which takes up more space) and then I have copies of each and every file in a more common file extension like .jpg or .png. If there is something I’m doing wrong, I’d really like to know.

But I guess I can’t blame my slow PC entirely on images. Maybe I’ve got too many programs and downloads, too?

It takes a long time for things to load properly.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  21. Apr 14, 2016 #20

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is nothing about what you describe that should slow your computer down in any way OTHER than that if you are a loading a large multiple-layer image into an image manipulation program then it will take longer than loading a simple non-layered smaller image. In other words, the number and size of all the JPG or PNG files on your computer have nothing to do with general CPU or I/O speed except when loading/storing a specific image.

EDIT: to add one thing, my statement above has at least one exception and that is that if you are running Windows and have indexing turned on then the more files you have, the more it is true that the automatic indexing process slows your computer down, but this is a truly trivial amount --- I mention it only to remain technically correct.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted