Where did these members go?

• Thread starter inception7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary, a few members have retired and others have left for other reasons. PF is a great place to spend your time but it is also difficult to stay active.
inception7
When I used to lurk around this forum about 2 years ago, I was frequently seeing users by the name of:

- Chroot

- Cyrus

- a few others that I do not remember the name, but were fairly popular...

Which leads me to ask what is the typical lifespan* of a PF member?

*By lifepan I mean how many years did they typically stay on Physics Forums.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
inception7 said:
Which leads me to ask what is the typical lifespan of a PF member?

Roughly 75 years, a bit higher for women.

Pengwuino said:

lol - by lifepan I meant how many years did they typically stay on Physics Forums.

pf members are volatile in nature.

Likes gracy
I signed on in the first month, I believe.

They come and they go.

Pengwuino said:

and a bit lower for lefthanders :/

inception7 said:
a few others that I do not remember the name, but were fairly popular...

Oh, them. I know who you mean.

They may have been kicked out from this forum.

And some may be back again with different names.

:rolleyes:

Not that hard to check, just some searching and browsing. Yes, being a Mentor or Admin helps a bit, as we have access to better tools, but locating a profile of a member with thousands of posts if pretty easy https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php .

Technically they are still with us: Cyrus and chroot.

My understanding is that Cyrus - after getting his PhD - invested his time into creating some kind of business enterprise and has no time to post, although he still occasionally lurks here. I believe he posted this kind of information somewhere, or at least it was easy to read between the lines. Chroot retired from Admin duties several weeks ago, but I see him lurking as well. After all, while PF is a great place to spend your time, it doesn't feed you, so no wonder people are investing their time in other, more lucrative things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since PF is around for some while, are there any all-time favorites or very memorable members that no more lurk around?

I want to search some names and read there old posts. It's a bit sad that probably a lot of terrific posts are hidden and forgotten somewhere. (Which is, as far as I can tell the biggest weakness of such forums..)

So give us some names!

Borek said:
My understanding is that Cyrus - after getting his PhD - invested his time into creating some kind of business enterprise and has no time to post, although he still occasionally lurks here.

I call BS. I think he's in jail :biggrin:

Lapidus said:
Since PF is around for some while, are there any all-time favorites or very memorable members that no more lurk around?

I want to search some names and read there old posts. It's a bit sad that probably a lot of terrific posts are hidden and forgotten somewhere. (Which is, as far as I can tell the biggest weakness of such forums..)

So give us some names!
You can read GD Classics to find many great threads with contributions of former members.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=42220

Unfortunately, the real world interferes. Sometimes members, no matter how dedicated, have other priorities.

I didn't post at all during my first year in grad school. I know Pengwuino was away for a while way back when. Thankfully, we both found our way back. :)

Evo said:
You can read GD Classics to find many great threads with contributions of former members.

Nothing beats tribdog's carpet adventure.

Borek said:
Nothing beats tribdog's carpet adventure.
Borek,

Linky ? Pleaseeee...

Rhody... o:)

Where's tribdog?

drizzle said:
Where's tribdog?
He was here recently.

1. Where did the members go?

The members may have gone on a break, left the organization, or transferred to a different team or department.

2. Why did the members leave?

There could be various reasons for members leaving, such as personal reasons, career opportunities elsewhere, or dissatisfaction with the organization.

3. Who replaced the members?

The organization may have hired new members to replace the ones who left, or existing members may have taken on additional responsibilities.

4. Will the members ever come back?

It is possible for members to return to the organization in the future, but it ultimately depends on their personal choices and the needs of the organization.

5. How will the absence of these members affect the organization?

The absence of members may have an impact on the organization, such as changes in team dynamics or workload distribution, but the organization will continue to function and adapt to the changes.