Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where did trig functions come from?

1. Jan 3, 2005 #1
    I've been thought trig functions in school definitely, but never been told how were they invented in the first place! Also, is there a function like sin (theta)= something. If so, what are these functions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"is there a function like sin (theta)= something."

pardon? what do you mean 'like'? or something? sin is a function, it's like itself, it's 'like' a power series, is that what you mean?

4. Jan 3, 2005 #3
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  5. Jan 4, 2005 #4
    thanks the history part was useful.

to matt: actually what i meant was could I get a function while I substitute theta, I will get the result of sine theta without using my calculator to find sine theta of course.

6. Jan 4, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Without using a calculator? OF course not. calculate the square of 3.45234232526 without one - takes a while agreed? calculate the square of the 5#th root of 2. this is of course a question about what you mean by calculate. in this case you mean find a decimal representation of. to what degree of accuracy?

there are many ways to caculate sin, cos and many other functions as power series, called taylor or maclaurin series.

[tex]\sin(x)= x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!}- \frac{x^7}{7!} \ldots[/tex]

terminate after as many terms as required.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?