Where did trig functions come from?

In summary, the conversation discusses the invention of trigonometric functions and whether there is a function for sin(theta) that can be calculated without a calculator. The history and use of trigonometric functions is mentioned, as well as the use of power series to calculate these functions.
misogynisticfeminist
I've been thought trig functions in school definitely, but never been told how were they invented in the first place! Also, is there a function like sin (theta)= something. If so, what are these functions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"is there a function like sin (theta)= something."

pardon? what do you mean 'like'? or something? sin is a function, it's like itself, it's 'like' a power series, is that what you mean?

Check this http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/HistTopics/Trigonometric_functions.html.

-- AI
Another Reference : http://www.math.unifi.it/archimede/archimede_inglese/trigonometria/trigonometria/prima.html but says the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes samg1
thanks the history part was useful.

to matt: actually what i meant was could I get a function while I substitute theta, I will get the result of sine theta without using my calculator to find sine theta of course.

Without using a calculator? OF course not. calculate the square of 3.45234232526 without one - takes a while agreed? calculate the square of the 5#th root of 2. this is of course a question about what you mean by calculate. in this case you mean find a decimal representation of. to what degree of accuracy?

there are many ways to caculate sin, cos and many other functions as power series, called taylor or maclaurin series.

[tex]\sin(x)= x - \frac{x^3}{3!} + \frac{x^5}{5!}- \frac{x^7}{7!} \ldots[/tex]

terminate after as many terms as required.

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

Where did trigonometric functions originate?

The concept of trigonometric functions can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Babylonians, Egyptians, and Greeks. However, the modern form of trigonometric functions was introduced by the Indian mathematician Aryabhata in the 5th century.

Why are trigonometric functions important?

Trigonometric functions are used in various fields such as mathematics, science, engineering, and navigation. They are essential in solving problems related to triangles, circles, and periodic phenomena.

How are trigonometric functions related to the unit circle?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin on a Cartesian coordinate system. Trigonometric functions are defined as the ratios between the sides of a right triangle inscribed within the unit circle.

What is the connection between trigonometric functions and calculus?

Trigonometric functions are used extensively in calculus, particularly in the study of periodic functions and their derivatives. The derivatives of trigonometric functions are also commonly used in physics and engineering to model and analyze periodic phenomena.