Where did you get your appreciation of/respect for, math?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date

Where did you get your appreciation for math?

• Home

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • School

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
The average denizen of PF has an above average interest in math. It's my preconception that people don't well at math unless it's reinforced at home. I could be wrong, though. It could be that some people discover it in school and take off with it despite indifference to it at home.

I've put two options. The first is that you got a good opinion of math at home, that your parents spoke of math as a good, important thing and encouraged you to do well in it.

The second is that your family was indifferent or even hostile to it and you got your interest from exposure at school and good experiences in math classes. Math intrigued you despite your family members speaking of it as "boring," "tedious," or "bleh", and the bulk of your encouragement came from your teachers.

Option one probably encompasses option two, but option two does not encompass option one. That's why I've limited it to two. Feel free to explain any third situation that applies to you.
Neither options apply to me.
My first kick to go and learn more advanced math was the realization that it can help me understand reality better; I started reading pop books in cosmology and physics, and thus the spark began.

In school you don't get to talk on cosmology or cool stuff in physics and math, and most of the tasks in HS or Primary school is mundane. In home neither of my parents have an education beyond HS nor an interest in physics or math.

Self made man, I guess.

Neither of my parents graduated high school. My father never WENT to high school. They know practically nothing about math, so nothing was reinforced at home for me.

manivannan R
hi friend,
Not only me most of the student will get appreciation for math from school only because.

our parents only look in to our statistics of all subjects, even if u scored 100% in math but got just pass in another some subjects our parent will worry about it lot instead of giving applause for math.
but,
In school the math teacher going to give a good recognition for ur math and going to get respect for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
drizzle
Gold Member
Scholars (mathematicians), they make life sound elegant with numbers. :smile: