Where did you meet your current partner/date/SO?

• Thread starter AriannaNation
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, many people have met their current partners in unexpected ways, such as at a wild party, through an online dating site, through mutual friends, or even through a coincidence like roommates.com. Some have also met through blind dates or in graduate school. However, some have also had unconventional ways of meeting, such as through a P2P program or even through a pet. Despite these varying ways of meeting, many have found success in their relationships.
AriannaNation
I'm finding after undergraduate... (for me)... usurped by my workload etc, etc... I rarely have time to be super social and go to these get togethers every so often to have a chance to meet someone new.

Aside from online dating... where have you met your current partner?

blind date?
school?
job?
bar? (I don't think I want to do this...)

Physics news on Phys.org
I met my SO at a wild party. I had no idea she was coming home. Now I'm grounded.

Let's see I met my first girlfriend in a club (it ended bad). Later, I recall another girlfriend I met in a Beach Resort (it was ok), and another at college, I was wondering around the Law School... Hmmm Now that I think about it, I do tend to attract lawyers girls, hmm. Interesting. I guess going to the Department of Justice to pick up chicks will be the way to go..

AriannaNation said:
I'm finding after undergraduate... (for me)... usurped by my workload etc, etc... I rarely have time to be super social and go to these get togethers every so often to have a chance to meet someone new.

Aside from online dating... where have you met your current partner?

blind date?
school?
job?
bar? (I don't think I want to do this...)

Online dating site (yeah, I know you said aside from that).

I agree bars could be a really bad idea. I hate dates that puke in your car. They should at least roll down the window. In fact, if they wait until I make a left turn through the intersection, they could probably manage not to get any puke on the side of my car.

I met mine in the Ares program (a P2P program/software) back in 2005. I live with her since 2006. I had to move from France to Argentina.

BobG said:
In fact, if they wait until I make a left turn through the intersection, they could probably manage not to get any puke on the side of my car.
:rofl:

Before I start, what is a SO?
Me and my partner grew up together as next door neighbours since our preteens, but even though I liked her for years she didn't seem interested. We ended up growing distant since playing games out on the street was growing old and we even started avoiding each other.

On my 18th bday I became very sick and in order to try fill in the void of what could've been a good time at a club for the first time, I found msn again (last time was when it consumed my life completely and made me fail a lot in school) so I began talking to her again. We grew fond of each other and kicked it off about 2 weeks later.

And I hate the idea of online dating, so in a way I might be a bit of a hypocrite.

SO = significant other

My past relationships (which were good) started after meeting "a friend of a friend." This isn't such a bad idea. Do any of your friends know anyone single?

My current relationship of 5 years has been with a guy I met on roommates.com whilst looking for a roommate. Pure coincidence, so not a good example at all.

Blind date, and going strong =]] Couldn't be happier, almost didn't show up, but sure glad I did!

The chances of that happening is like 1 in 3.5 billion. Get it, coz u two are the only ones that have worked out haha :biggrin:

I'll go now...

the library :)... libraries are the new bars, geek is the new cool, studying is the new drinking... lol

My daughter gave him to me. She was gone a lot during the day and he'd pee on her bed. I've found that if I strip all of the blankets and pillows off of the bed if I have to leave that he won't pee on the mattress.

He growls if I try to kiss him, but I still love him.

Graduate school. In particular, in my advisor's office. It ended up that she joined his group and married me.

Evo said:

You've fallen into the friend zone :biggrin:

Evo said:
My daughter gave him to me. She was gone a lot during the day and he'd pee on her bed. I've found that if I strip all of the blankets and pillows off of the bed if I have to leave that he won't pee on the mattress.

He sounds a lot like a guitar player I dated in my 20s. Except I bet your sweetie is way cuter.

Really? You got a guitar player to stop peeing on the mattress?

Vanadium 50 said:
Really? You got a guitar player to stop peeing on the mattress?

OK, it's a weird story. He never peed on the mattress, thank goodness, but he wasn't completely housebroken. He was on the road all the time and stayed in a different hotel room every night. So when he came home to stay with me, I would sometimes awaken to a splattering sound from the corner of the room. He was just sleepwalking over to what he thought was the hotel bathroom, and then, well, it would happen.

Other than that, he was a really sweet guy. He only growled a little bit. And my parents adored him.

1. How did you and your partner first meet?

We met through mutual friends at a party. We struck up a conversation and hit it off right away.

2. Was it love at first sight?

No, it wasn't love at first sight. We were both attracted to each other and enjoyed talking, but it took time for our relationship to develop into something more.

3. Did you know right away that your partner was "the one"?

No, it took some time for us to get to know each other and for our feelings to deepen. We both had to be sure that we were compatible and wanted the same things in life before considering a long-term commitment.

4. Where did you go on your first date?

For our first date, we went to a cozy restaurant and then took a walk in the park. It was a simple but memorable evening.

5. How long have you been together?

We have been together for 3 years now and have created many wonderful memories together. We are looking forward to many more years of love and happiness.