Where do all the insomniacs go?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary: I'll be up all night, then I can't fall asleep during the day, so I'm even more tired at night.No there aren't.No there aren't.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Some times PFs is deserted, are there not enough insomniacs to populate the board?
Some times i find it hard to fill the hours, some times it is impossible to shut down and any thing interesting is a relief, but there are endless hours of boredom, why do people around the world not keep PFs going 24/7, why are there not enough new discoveries to keep a mind active? i mean there are plenty of things that are controversial, so why stop talking about them?

Physics news on Phys.org
I try to get off at a reasonable time so I can read in bed and unwind.

wolram said:
i mean there are plenty of things that are controversial.
No there aren't.

jimmysnyder said:
No there aren't.

Good one.

Lately I've been an insomniac. It's a real drag on everything. Getting up at 4 PM, weekends or otherwise feels like a "wasted" day.

I could try to get some of my foreign school friends to join.

Some times i can nod off, even while drinking a cup of coffee and not spill a drop, an hour might have passed and my coffee is cold but i do not realize why until i look at the clock.

Math Jeans said:
I could try to get some of my foreign school friends to join.

The more the merrier.

I try not to spend my time surfing the net. Otherwise I might not to fall asleep even when it's around 3-4 AM.

dst said:
Good one.

Lately I've been an insomniac. It's a real drag on everything. Getting up at 4 PM, weekends or otherwise feels like a "wasted" day.

That's not insomnia, that's just sleep disordered.

I miss the old insomnia threads that Franz and Smurf used to get going every night (I think HRW got into some of those too...can't recall who else were the regulars in those escapades). It was always fun to open up the forum in the morning and find out what mischief they'd been up to. :biggrin:

Last edited:
I'm no insomniac but I do keep unusual hours. I tend to post more after midnight sometimes all the way through till 5am, but more usually till about 3:30 am.

I'm not an insomniac, but I am nocturnal. Is that ok?

I have the ability to sleep almost anywhere and in any position. I've slept on planes, trains, trolleys and automobiles from limos to my uncles duece and a half, vessels ranging in size from canoes to aircraft carriers. I've slept on the ground, wood, concrete and steel decks, wood or steel pallets, trash rooms engine rooms, rock concerts, flight decks, on tons of high explosives, lying down, sitting up, kneeling, leaning on a wall. I haven't been able to sleep lying down on non skid or sleep standing up unassisted, but I've witnessed others do it before. Those are the grandmasters.

But you haven't seen real sleeping 'til you've slept on a bed

As I get older, I sleep less and less. Well actually more and more, but I mean less per day. I started out sleeping most of the day but lately I'm down to 6 hours.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
That's not insomnia, that's just sleep disordered.

I miss the old insomnia threads that Franz and Smurf used to get going every night (I think HRW got into some of those too...can't recall who else were the regulars in those escapades). It was always fun to open up the forum in the morning and find out what mischief they'd been up to. :biggrin:

True, but I can't imagine this many people having "insomnia", the condition either. Any sleep deprivation on my part tends to bring out a vicious cycle in me.

1. Where do all the insomniacs go?

The simple answer is that insomniacs do not go anywhere. Insomnia is a sleep disorder that affects a person's ability to fall asleep or stay asleep, and therefore, they do not go anywhere during the night.

2. Is there a specific place that insomniacs congregate?

No, there is no specific place where insomniacs gather. Insomnia is a common disorder that affects millions of people worldwide, and individuals may experience it differently. Some may choose to stay in their own homes while others may seek medical help.

3. Can insomnia be cured?

There is no definitive cure for insomnia, but it can be managed with proper treatment and lifestyle changes. Medications, therapy, and relaxation techniques can help improve sleep quality and reduce the symptoms of insomnia.

4. Are there any long-term effects of insomnia?

Chronic insomnia can lead to several health problems, including depression, anxiety, weakened immune system, and increased risk of heart disease. It can also affect a person's daily life, causing fatigue, irritability, and difficulty concentrating. Seeking treatment can help prevent these long-term effects.

5. Can anyone develop insomnia?

Insomnia can affect anyone, regardless of age, gender, or health status. However, certain factors such as stress, anxiety, and certain medical conditions can increase the risk of developing insomnia. It is important to address these underlying factors to effectively manage insomnia.