Understanding the Formation of Contrails: A Scientific Explanation

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
In summary: This happens if the vapor pressure and temperature of the exhaust as it leaves the plane and and while it comes to equilibrium with the atmospheric vapor pressure and temperature meets the necessary conditions for saturation. contrails can form at any time of the day or year, depending on the surrounding temperature and humidity.
Mk
Where do contrails come from??

I have known many answers but none seems to fit my situation.

On Guam, we have a busy commercial airport, an air force base, and a navy air base... and NO contrails. NONE. Where do contrails come from.

"Why, they come from the back of planes Mk." No, I don't want that answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
I have known many answers but none seems to fit my situation.
On Guam, we have a busy commercial airport, an air force base, and a navy air base... and NO contrails. NONE. Where do contrails come from.
"Why, they come from the back of planes Mk." No, I don't want that answer.

Lemme ask my aero-engineering friends tomorrow, i'll get back to you.

I think its condensation because of low pressure building up behind the aircraft but I'm not certain.

Contrails happen when the exhaust from jetplanes become saturated in the air. This happens if the vapor pressure and temperature of the exhaust as it leaves the plane and and while it comes to equilibrium with the atmospheric vapor pressure and temperature meets the necessary conditions for saturation.

This page has a graphic:
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/class/contrail.html

Since Guam is fairly close to the equator, its atmospheric temperature at jet plane height might be great enough such that there is not enough vapor pressure to saturate in the air.

i don't know what a contrail is.

Good for you.

Errr... I mean http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/class/contrail.html has a picture, its the clouds that planes leave behind.

Since Guam is fairly close to the equator, its atmospheric temperature at jet plane height might be great enough such that there is not enough vapor pressure to saturate in the air.
Ahh, yes that sounds good. Guam is only 14˚ up from the equator.

Jelfish said:
Contrails happen when the exhaust from jetplanes become saturated in the air. This happens if the vapor pressure and temperature of the exhaust as it leaves the plane and and while it comes to equilibrium with the atmospheric vapor pressure and temperature meets the necessary conditions for saturation.

This page has a graphic:
http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/class/contrail.html

It's the moisture in the combustion gases that condenses. I have seen contrails overhead since my area gets a lot of air traffic from Boston and the NE airports, and international flights into NY. However, contrails do not always form. That is a matter of air temperature as Jelfish indicated, in which case the combustion gases dissipate before condensing into the appropriate size droplets. I have been in commercial jets and seen other commercial jets flying underneath or overhead in the opposite direction (which is pretty amazing to see), and there were no contrails. That's more the case in the summer than during the cooler fall, winter and spring periods.

Typcial altitudes for big commerical jet aircraft are about 8000-12300 m (26000 - 40000 ft) over land, with slightly higher altitudes over the ocean (10000-14000 m) for transcontinental flights. Short range flights tend to be at the lower altitudes to minimize congestion of the airspace.

Well, a matter of temperature and humidity...

1. Where do contrails come from?

Contrails, short for "condensation trails", are long, thin, and white lines that form behind aircraft. They are created by the water vapor in the exhaust of the airplane's engines mixing with the colder air in the atmosphere.

2. What causes contrails to form?

Contrails are formed when hot exhaust from an airplane's engines comes into contact with the cold air in the upper atmosphere. The water vapor in the exhaust condenses and freezes into tiny ice crystals, forming the visible line behind the plane.

3. Do all planes produce contrails?

No, not all planes produce contrails. The conditions in the upper atmosphere have to be just right for contrails to form. The temperature and humidity levels have to be at specific levels for contrails to be visible.

4. How long do contrails last?

The lifespan of contrails varies depending on the atmospheric conditions. Some contrails may dissipate quickly, while others can last for hours. The length of time a contrail lasts also depends on the altitude, wind conditions, and the type of airplane producing it.

5. Can contrails impact the environment?

Contrails can have a small impact on the environment, as they contribute to the formation of cirrus clouds. However, the overall impact is minimal compared to other sources of air pollution. Additionally, contrails can sometimes trap heat in the atmosphere, contributing to a slight warming effect, but this effect is still being studied and is not fully understood.