A High School Student Asks: Should I Even Bother Applying to UT Austin?

In summary, the conversation discusses the poster's interest in studying physics at the University of Texas at Austin despite financial concerns and their acceptance to other schools with better financial aid packages. The conversation also mentions the possibility of attending UMass Amherst for free and the importance of considering financial factors when choosing a college.
AndrewJM
Hello, this is my first post :).
I am a high school sophmore and am incredibly interested in physics...
My school gives an intro-physics course for those who want to pursue it. I got over a one hundered average in that class, I have a 3.83 (out of 4) gpa. I also got advanced on the "MCAS" so can got to any state school (In Ma.) tutuion free.

So, to my question. The school I really want to apply to is the University of Texas at Austin. But should I even bother? I ask this for two reasons: 1) My family is relativley poor. And I feel like I shouldn't leve them and cost them so much money. 2) I read that only people in the top 10% of there class even get looked at by UT at Austin and I am in the 20%.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to go to UT? What does that school have that any other schools in your state don't?

IMO, stick with whatever is financially reasonable. If you're getting free tuition in MA, it should be a no brainer as there are many good schools to choose from.

UMass Amherst has an excellent physics program. You wouldn't get anything out of UT Austin at the undergrad level you can't get at UMass Amherst for free. Grad school is when you'd really worry about what school you attend, and you won't do undergrad and grad school at the same school anyway. Also, grad school will be free too in physics.

Thank you guys very much!

The reason I wanted to go to UT was I love Texas and I kinda want to get out of MA and I hadn't even thought about Amherst. But now that I look at it it seems to be just as good.

I was accepted to UT Austin for math, but I declined because the financial aid was SO bad. I am a (very) low income student, too. I don't know if you received your financial aid award, but my package had only ~$4k in grants... the rest of the (out of state) tuition would have been paid for in loans. It was about $20k per year. Something to think about.

That sucks, sorry man.

It's not a problem. I liked UT Austin, but it was not my top choice and I got into schools (with full ride) that I would rather attend. I just wanted to share to give you some idea of what you might expect financially (in case you don't know already). I was pretty appalled by their offer; it was the worst aid package I received from the 10 schools I applied to.

1. Should I apply to UT Austin even if I don't meet the minimum GPA requirement?

Yes, you should still apply to UT Austin even if you don't meet the minimum GPA requirement. While a high GPA is important, it is not the only factor that is considered in the admissions process. Other factors such as extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation can also play a significant role in the decision.

2. Is UT Austin a highly competitive school?

Yes, UT Austin is considered a highly competitive school. It is one of the top public universities in the country and receives a large number of applications each year. However, this should not discourage you from applying as each application is evaluated holistically and your unique qualities and experiences can set you apart.

3. Is it worth the cost to attend UT Austin?

The cost of attending UT Austin may vary for each individual depending on financial aid, scholarships, and other factors. However, UT Austin is consistently ranked as one of the best value colleges in the country, offering a high-quality education at a relatively affordable cost. It also has a strong reputation and a vast network of alumni, which can provide valuable opportunities for your future career.

4. What are the benefits of attending UT Austin?

There are many benefits to attending UT Austin. It is a top-ranked university with a diverse and highly respected faculty, providing students with a rigorous and well-rounded education. It also offers a wide range of majors and programs, numerous research opportunities, and a vibrant campus life. Additionally, being located in Austin, a dynamic city known for its technology, music, and culture, provides countless opportunities for personal and professional growth.

5. What are my chances of getting into UT Austin?

It is impossible to determine your exact chances of getting into UT Austin as the admissions process is highly competitive and each application is evaluated individually. However, you can increase your chances by having a strong academic record, involvement in extracurricular activities, and showcasing your unique qualities and experiences in your application. It is also important to apply early and thoroughly review and edit your application before submission.