1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do I go?

1. Apr 29, 2013 #1
    Hello, this is my first post :).
    I am a high school sophmore and am incredibly interested in physics...
    My school gives an intro-physics course for those who want to pursue it. I got over a one hundered average in that class, I have a 3.83 (out of 4) gpa. I also got advanced on the "MCAS" so can got to any state school (In Ma.) tutuion free.

So, to my question. The school I really want to apply to is the University of Texas at Austin. But should I even bother? I ask this for two reasons: 1) My family is relativley poor. And I feel like I shouldn't leve them and cost them so much money. 2) I read that only people in the top 10% of there class even get looked at by UT at Austin and I am in the 20%.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2013 #2
    Why do you want to go to UT? What does that school have that any other schools in your state don't?

IMO, stick with whatever is financially reasonable. If you're getting free tuition in MA, it should be a no brainer as there are many good schools to choose from.

4. Apr 29, 2013 #3

eri

UMass Amherst has an excellent physics program. You wouldn't get anything out of UT Austin at the undergrad level you can't get at UMass Amherst for free. Grad school is when you'd really worry about what school you attend, and you won't do undergrad and grad school at the same school anyway. Also, grad school will be free too in physics.

5. Apr 29, 2013 #4
    Thank you guys very much!!

6. Apr 29, 2013 #5
    The reason I wanted to go to UT was I love Texas and I kinda wanna get out of MA and I hadn't even thought about Amherst. But now that I look at it it seems to be just as good.

7. Apr 29, 2013 #6
    I was accepted to UT Austin for math, but I declined because the financial aid was SO bad. I am a (very) low income student, too. I don't know if you received your financial aid award, but my package had only ~$4k in grants... the rest of the (out of state) tuition would have been paid for in loans. It was about $20k per year. Something to think about.

8. Apr 30, 2013 #7
    That sucks, sorry man.

9. Apr 30, 2013 #8
    It's not a problem. I liked UT Austin, but it was not my top choice and I got into schools (with full ride) that I would rather attend. I just wanted to share to give you some idea of what you might expect financially (in case you don't know already). I was pretty appalled by their offer; it was the worst aid package I received from the 10 schools I applied to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook