1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do i start from?

1. Nov 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

a long straight wire lying along the x-axis carries current I flowing in the +x direction. A second long straight wire lying along the y-axis carries current I/2 in the +y direction.
    where is their combined magnetic field zero?

2. Relevant equations

Ampere's Law/biot-savart law

3. The attempt at a solution

where do i begin??
    pls help.thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

What is the magnetic field due to a current of wire?

Look at each of the quadrants in the xyplane.... examine the direction of fields due to each of the two wires.... in which quadrants are they in the same direction? in which quadrants are they in the opposite direction...

now within the quadrants where the fields are in opposite directions... you need the magnitude of the two fields to be equal (so that they cancel each other out)...

take an aribtrary point (x,y)... what is the field at this point due to the first wire... and due to the second wire... set the two fields equal... solve for y in terms of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?