Begin Your Physics Journey: A Guide to Starting with Books and Prerequisites

• Thread starter LSDwhat?
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements and subject matter for a general physics course, Physics I. Theoretical lectures focus on understanding laws and concepts and applying them to real problems, while laboratory classes emphasize experimental methods and scientific reporting. Prerequisites include a knowledge of physics concepts at the 11th grade level and mathematics at the 12th grade level. The recommended textbook is Halliday, Resnick & Walker's "Fundamentals of Physics", although other options such as Giancoli and Serway may also cover the necessary material. The conversation also touches on the possibility of obtaining instructor permission to enroll in the course without meeting the prerequisites, but it is generally advised to have a strong background in the necessary subjects. The conversation ends with a clarification that
LSDwhat?
So I have never had Physics and I need it to do Physics I , since the pre-requesits need prior physics I ask where do I start , which books, the one on biblio ?

Objectives
Physics I is a general physics course teaching mainly Newtonian Mechanics. Theoretical lectures are designed toward the understanding of laws and concepts of Physics and their application to the resolution of real problems. In laboratory classes, emphasis is given to the experimental methods of Physics, to metrology and scientific reporting.

Prerequisites

11th grade level knowledge of physics concepts.

12th grade level knowledge of mathematics.

Subject matter

General concepts: Measurement, units, uncertainties, dimensions. Space and Time. Reference frames. Models of Mechanics.

Kinematics: Velocity and acceleration in general motion. Velocity and position calculated from the acceleration. Relative motion, Galileu’s transformation.

Dynamics of the particle: Inertial reference frames. Principle of conservation of linear momentum. Fundamental forces; contact forces; friction; drag force and terminal speed. Non - inertial reference frames. Conservation of angular momentum. Work and energy; potential energy and force; conservation of energy.

Systems of particles: Center of mass and center of mass reference frame. Conservation of linear momentum, angular momentum and energy. Two particle systems; reduced mass. Collisions. Systems with varying mass.

Dynamics of the rigid body: Linear momentum, angular momentum, work and energy in translation and rotation. Rotational inertial momentum. General movement; rolling. Equilibrium.

Oscillatory Motion: Simple harmonic motion.

Bibliography

1. Halliday, Resnick & Walker, Fundamentals of Physics (6th ed)
2. Halliday, Resnick & Walker, Fundamentos de Física, vol.1, 2 (6ª ed)
3. Alonso e Finn, Física, vol. 1

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple "classic"/standard introduction to physics texts. If you have no experience I believe the one intended for high schoolers is Giancoli. Your biblio also says Halliday and Resnick which is another classic, there's also Serway's and Knight's. Basically all these books have exactly the same content but different people have a slight preference for one over the other but at the end of the day if you're commited they'll all get the job done.

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you want to take a physics course that has certain prerequisites, you have to take those prerequisites. You might be able to get instructor permission to enrol anyway, but you have to talk to the instructor or course administrators in order do do this. It's usually a good idea to take the prerequisites, unless you're fairly certain you have a background that has covered that material.

Choppy said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you want to take a physics course that has certain prerequisites, you have to take those prerequisites. You might be able to get instructor permission to enrol anyway, but you have to talk to the instructor or course administrators in order do do this. It's usually a good idea to take the prerequisites, unless you're fairly certain you have a background that has covered that material.

I'm currently taking Computer Engineering and that's one of the disciplines I have.

@Maverick

So with Halliday and Resnick its good to start from 0 ?
I guess I will use that one then.

Last edited:
The prerequisites for "Physics 1" in most places are usually "Calculus and Analytic Geometry 1". The usual required sequence of Physics courses for Science and Engineering majors require just that 'Calc 1' course, strong Algebra skill and some well developed basic Trigonometry, but usually no other Physics courses.

If you have good basic Algebra skill, you could try an Introductory Physics course first.

Well for Physics I you need to know algebra and very basic calculus but if you're in computer engineering I assume you already have those.

LSDwhat? said:
Prerequisites [for Physics I]

11th grade level knowledge of physics concepts.

12th grade level knowledge of mathematics.

What country is this in? I ask because in the United States, most high school students take physics in 12th grade, not 11th (if indeed they take physics in high school at all).

Also, no US university (as far as I know) would state mathematical prerequisites as simply "12th grade level" because that is not specific enough. Some high school students study calculus in 12th grade, others study trigonometry or "pre-calculus."

There are generally two kinds of introductory university physics courses in the US: one kind is for physics and other science and engineering degrees, and usually has calculus as at least a co-requisite; the other kind is for non-science degrees, and usually has only trigonometry (and of course algebra) as pre-requisite.

Educational systems are different in different countries, so you need to make clear which educational system you're dealing with, otherwise the answers you get may be inappropriate.

jtbell said:
What country is this in? I ask because in the United States, most high school students take physics in 12th grade, not 11th (if indeed they take physics in high school at all).

Also, no US university (as far as I know) would state mathematical prerequisites as simply "12th grade level" because that is not specific enough. Some high school students study calculus in 12th grade, others study trigonometry or "pre-calculus."

There are generally two kinds of introductory university physics courses in the US: one kind is for physics and other science and engineering degrees, and usually has calculus as at least a co-requisite; the other kind is for non-science degrees, and usually has only trigonometry (and of course algebra) as pre-requisite.

Educational systems are different in different countries, so you need to make clear which educational system you're dealing with, otherwise the answers you get may be inappropriate.

Well if the suggested text is Halliday and Resnick I think we can guess what the course is going to be like. (i.e. every other course in the english speaking world that uses that text).

Sorry forgot to mention I'm from portugal and here most students have to choose when going to the 10th year one branch and most that goes to computer engineering choose Science one and have physics on 11th but I didn't , that's why its a Prerequisite and there are no Introductory courses just this one.

In the US, most universities that use Halliday/Resnick for their physics course probably have Calculus I as co-requisite for the first semester (mechanics). That is, you have to at least be taking Calculus I at the same time as the first semester of physics. The physics course usually reviews or introduces the concepts of derivatives and integrals when they are needed. For example, derivatives are introduced when discussing instantaneous speed and velocity.

1. What is the best way to start learning physics?

The best way to start learning physics is to begin with the basics. This includes understanding mathematical concepts such as calculus, algebra, and trigonometry. It's also important to have a strong foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills.

2. Which books are recommended for beginners in physics?

Some recommended books for beginners in physics include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin. These books cover a range of topics from basic concepts to more advanced principles.

3. Do I need any prerequisites before starting to learn physics?

Yes, having a strong foundation in mathematics and science is necessary before starting to learn physics. This includes knowledge of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus, as well as an understanding of scientific principles and critical thinking skills.

4. How can I make learning physics more engaging and interactive?

There are many ways to make learning physics more engaging and interactive. You can try solving practice problems, conducting experiments, watching videos and animations, or joining a study group. It's also helpful to have a clear understanding of the real-world applications of physics concepts.

5. What are some common misconceptions about learning physics?

One common misconception is that physics is only for people who are good at math. While a strong foundation in math is important, anyone can learn and understand physics with dedication and practice. Another misconception is that physics is only relevant for certain professions, but in reality, physics principles are applied in many fields, including engineering, medicine, and technology.