1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do I start?

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    Can someone point me in the right direction of solving the following problem:

Prove that for any postive integer n, the value of the expression [tex]3^{2n+2} - 8n -9[/tex] is divisible by 64.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I find when you're asked to prove that every member of some subset of the natural numbers has some property, induction usually works.

4. Apr 7, 2005 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9^{n+1}-8n-9

or equivalently

9^n-8n-1

what is the binomial expansion of 9^n when considering 9=8+1?

5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Maybe I'm having a blonde moment, but doesn't [itex]a^{n + 1} - a = a(a^{n} - 1)[/itex], making [itex]9^{n + 1} - 9 - 8n = 9(9^{n} - 1) - 8n[/itex]?

6. Apr 7, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ah, perhaps i ought to have been clearer: i wasn't say the epxressions are equal, but that if you prove one is divisible by 64 for all n, the other will be divislbe by 64 for all n (give or take a case when n=0). I let m=n+1 in the first, then relabelled n=m.

7. Apr 9, 2005 #6
    I get it now. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook