Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do PF mentors come from?

1. Jul 16, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just curious... how did the different PF mentors become mentors? Did Greg just start picking them out over time as new categories developed and people with expertise in the subjects emerged on the boards? How many mentors were there to begin with?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2004 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't tell you how many mentors the site started with, but your suspicions are correct about how mentors are found. Members who are active, helpful, and consistent are often chosen for promotions. We actually have so many active, helpful, and consistent members here that we often are in a quandary: the site wouldn't necessarily benefit from having a hundred mentors, but we still want to reward those folks who help us so very much. We've thought about some kind of not-quite-mentor user class, like PF Advisor, to recognize those people.

- Warren

4. Jul 16, 2004 #3

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, first a mommy and daddy PF mentor have to love each other really,really alot. Then if things go just right, nine months later, the mommy PF mentor goes to the hospital...

5. Jul 16, 2004 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it looks like Kerrie's taken, so that leaves Monique..... :P

- Warren

6. Jul 16, 2004 #5

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

For shame!

everybody knows that Greg finds mentors under a cabbage leaf

7. Jul 16, 2004 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, Chroot. I wondered about how this all came about since the mentors seemed to be in very different geographic locations. (well, except for that little cluster of Oregon mentors).

Janus and Marcus, awwwrrr!! Little baby mentors - that's so cute!! Those explanations were very sweet. :shy:

8. Jul 16, 2004 #7

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was plucked off a Mentor tree.

9. Jul 16, 2004 #8
    I'm confused... Can you elaborate? :wink:

10. Jul 16, 2004 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then the mommy and daddy PF mentors get naked and hug.

- Warren

11. Jul 16, 2004 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Well, if you're going to be *that* picky, I guess I won't ever be selected. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately my field of expertise is long haul fiber optic networks (as in the Internet backbone) which isn't discussed here. :frown: :cry:

12. Jul 16, 2004 #11

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yet.. :smile:

When PF takes over the world (any day now by my reckoning), you can pick whatever continent you want to own, and you can be our long-haul fiber optic network mentor.

- Warren

13. Jul 16, 2004 #12

Evo

Staff: Mentor

WOOT!! :biggrin:

14. Jul 16, 2004 #13
    :surprise: WHAT?! You're lying!!! Ahh!! You've warpped my fragle little mind!!! :cry:

15. Jul 16, 2004 #14
    All the little mentor-origin fictions above were amusing, but the fact is mentors are the result of electro-biological experiments personally carried out by Greg Bernhardt in his basement. He performs these experiments with several tesla coils, van de Graaf generators, and jacob's ladders running, and when he's finished, enjoys shouting "Its ALIIIIVVVE!!! IT'S AAALLLLIIIIIVVVVEEEE!!!!!"

16. Jul 16, 2004 #15
    No, the stork brings the baby mentors when the parents love each other a lot. The storks pick them from the rare mentor tree (Menotrous Hazardousien). :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

17. Jul 16, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know how I got here. Where are we?

18. Jul 16, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:eek: uhh.. :rolleyes:

We're like a giant ant hill with tunnels and different chambers, Greg is hidden somewhere in the middle orchastrating all the action.. once in a while a worker ant finds it's way through all the tunnels and reaches Greg, he will then rub off some special powers and a mentor is born :approve:

19. Jul 16, 2004 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't seen daylight since I came in, do you know the way out? :uhh:

20. Jul 16, 2004 #19

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some of us just appeared out of thin air.

21. Jul 16, 2004 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ahh you THINK so, do you still remember what you did before you came here? Ahh, SEE? You don't :surprise:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?