Where do the charges come from?

• Thread starter KLscilevothma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of the ammeter showing a current spike when a capacitor is connected to it after being left on a bench for a while. This is due to the property of the dielectric in the capacitor called "retentivity," which causes some of the displacement charge to become "frozen" into the dielectric. This is also the principle behind electrostatic microphones and is the reason large capacitors are shipped with shorted leads.
KLscilevothma
Once I was doing an experiment on capacitors, I discharged a capacitor totally(I mean 99.999% coz theoretically we can't totally discharge a capacitor) and checked by a microammeter, the reading was zero. Then I put the capacitor on a bench (insulator), after a while, I connected the capacitor with a microammeter and the pointer of the microammeter jumped to 0.5mA! I repeated it several times and same result could be obtained.
Now I am wondering where do the charges come from, from the bench? Could someone explain it please.

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be a property of the ammeter itself. Many ammeters of microamp sensitivity take on the order of seconds to stablize to correct readings. When you connect even an "empty" capacitance to the leads of the meter, you are suddenly dramatically changing the capacitance of the input circuit. This sudden change in capacitance can cause charges to move in the transistors in the input amplifiers, causing a little "blip" that the meter shows as a current spike. In reality, the ammeter is probably not designed to deal with suddenly and drastically changing reactance across its leads; also, as I've said, most of those meters take at least a second to stabilize.

Remember, no test/measurement equipment is really ideal!

- Warren

Nope, it's not the ammeter

It's a property of the dielectric in the capacitor, called "retentivity" and the makers of capacitors will generaly list it in their data sheets. If a voltage is applied for a considerable time to the capacitor some of the displacement charge will become "frozen" into the dielectric. This is also the princple of the electrostat in electrostatic microphones.

It's also the reason large and potentially (no pun intended) dangerous capacitors are shipped with shorted leads.

1. Where do charges come from in an atom?

The charges in an atom come from the subatomic particles that make up the atom. These particles include protons, which have a positive charge, neutrons, which have no charge, and electrons, which have a negative charge. The protons and neutrons are found in the nucleus of the atom, while the electrons orbit around the nucleus.

2. How are charges created?

Charges can be created through a process called ionization. This occurs when an atom gains or loses electrons, causing an imbalance of positive or negative charges. Charges can also be created through friction, where two objects rubbing against each other can transfer electrons and create a charge on each object.

3. Can charges be destroyed?

No, charges cannot be destroyed. They can only be transferred from one object to another or balanced out through the attraction of opposite charges. In certain cases, charges can also be neutralized through chemical reactions.

4. What is the role of charges in electricity?

Charges play a critical role in electricity as they are responsible for the movement of electrons. When charges are imbalanced, there is a flow of electrons from one object to another, creating an electric current. This movement of charges is what powers various electrical devices and systems.

5. Where do charges come from in a lightning bolt?

A lightning bolt is a large discharge of electricity that occurs between a cloud and the ground or between two different clouds. The charges in a lightning bolt come from the buildup of static electricity within the clouds. As the charges become too great, they are released in a powerful and visible discharge of electricity.