How can we physically travel through time?

• Thread starter Rook225
  • Start date
In summary: The only way to get from one place to another would be to somehow duplicate the movement of the Earth through the universe. Doing this would require understanding the motion of the Earth and then using that information to duplicate it. This would be nearly impossible. Additionally, it is not clear how you would enter or exit the duplicate Earth. It could be said that entering the duplicate Earth would be like entering another dimension, and exiting would be like exiting that dimension. However, it is not clear whether or not the traveler would be able to interact with the duplicate Earth. If the traveler could, then they would be effectively living in two places at the same time. This would
Rook225
Ok, I have a question concerning one (rather important) aspect of time travel I don't recal anyone really discussing; the Earth. Or what I'd like to know is how do we get there (forward/backward) from here...our current spacetime coordinate at the point of departure? With the most popular theories of time travel we're talking about either intersecting with another timeline (alternate reality) or actually moving backward/forward along the current timeline. However, regardless of which ever mode you want to consider, is the traveller actually physically relocating to another coordinate in spacetime? Whether you're talking about alternate realities or not, the Earth in any reality is still moving through the universe on a fairly predictable (that is if we knew how to plot it) course. Let's pause for a moment on whether or not we'll be able to travel forward/backward in time, if you take all the movements the Earth is involved in (revolution, precession, solar precession, galactic revolution, and galactic precession), let's say for simplicity's sake a sort of loopty-loop trajectory through spacetime. Wouldn't it be fair to say that time travel is rather like arriving on the Earth at some predetermined spacetime coordinate? If your object is to go back, then wouldn't your destination be some spacetime coordinate the Earth has already crossed, and how could you win such a race that has already been won? Or alternative going forward in time would equal a coordinate the Earth has yet to cross, and would you be hanging out there in space waiting for you're future Earth to catch up with you? So there you have my quandry, if anyone or perhaps Dr. Kaku would like to tackle it, I'd sure like to know someone else's opinion.

Thanks,
Rook

Physics news on Phys.org
Brilliant

You left out possible movement of the universe.

Only way would be if your inertial motion was multiplied by the time displacement. if not the time machine would collapse because the other side of the machine would be torn from it or it would hit something.

On the other hand it's possible our time machine uses measurements and applies forces which are affected by our motion so it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
With a standard 'time machine' that simply moves along your timeline, it would not move spatially and would then be floating out in space when the shift ended. How that shift in your timeline takes place in the first place is questionable (a fast starship? wormhole? etc). I would think that when you know how to accomplish this feat physically, you'll learn where you could possibly be after such a shift.

Rook225 said:
Ok, I have a question concerning one (rather important) aspect of time travel I don't recal anyone really discussing; the Earth. Or what I'd like to know is how do we get there (forward/backward) from here...our current spacetime coordinate at the point of departure? With the most popular theories of time travel we're talking about either intersecting with another timeline (alternate reality) or actually moving backward/forward along the current timeline. However, regardless of which ever mode you want to consider, is the traveller actually physically relocating to another coordinate in spacetime? Whether you're talking about alternate realities or not, the Earth in any reality is still moving through the universe on a fairly predictable (that is if we knew how to plot it) course. Let's pause for a moment on whether or not we'll be able to travel forward/backward in time, if you take all the movements the Earth is involved in (revolution, precession, solar precession, galactic revolution, and galactic precession), let's say for simplicity's sake a sort of loopty-loop trajectory through spacetime. Wouldn't it be fair to say that time travel is rather like arriving on the Earth at some predetermined spacetime coordinate? If your object is to go back, then wouldn't your destination be some spacetime coordinate the Earth has already crossed, and how could you win such a race that has already been won? Or alternative going forward in time would equal a coordinate the Earth has yet to cross, and would you be hanging out there in space waiting for you're future Earth to catch up with you? So there you have my quandry, if anyone or perhaps Dr. Kaku would like to tackle it, I'd sure like to know someone else's opinion.

Thanks,
Rook
Your 'quandry' is the reason why Time Travel is impossible. No one talks about it because it is more enjoyable to try and figure out why time travel is possible. Science fiction (fantasy) would really miss not being able to do Time Travel.

All travel requires one to change locations. All real locations exist only in what we experience as the present. All past locations have become present locations. Yesterday's location of the Earth in space will never be duplicated.

All the speculation one may do and all the obtuse postulation that may be presented will not preempt this reality. All Time Travel is and always will be Imaginary.

And your babbling is why it will never be so.

I agree that physical transportation to a different time is very unlikely but what about some sort of communication or observation.
I found the theory that the reason that gravity is so weak was because gravitons flow between dimensions whereas the other forces are trapped here facinating. That would mean that theoretically if you could control a stream of gravitons that you could communicate with another dimension morese-code style.
Perhaps something like this is possible with tachions? Any other ideas?

dontbelievthebull said:
I agree that physical transportation to a different time is very unlikely but what about some sort of communication or observation.
I found the theory that the reason that gravity is so weak was because gravitons flow between dimensions whereas the other forces are trapped here facinating. That would mean that theoretically if you could control a stream of gravitons that you could communicate with another dimension morese-code style.
Perhaps something like this is possible with tachions? Any other ideas?

that of course is assuming that gravitons are real.

1. Where do we go from here in terms of scientific advancements?

The direction of scientific advancements is constantly changing and evolving. It is difficult to predict exactly where we will go from here, but some potential areas of focus include renewable energy, artificial intelligence, and space exploration.

2. Where do we go from here in terms of climate change?

The future of climate change depends on the actions we take now. It is crucial that we reduce our carbon footprint and invest in renewable energy sources in order to slow the effects of climate change and protect our planet.

3. Where do we go from here in terms of medicine and healthcare?

The future of medicine and healthcare is promising. With advancements in technology, we can expect to see improvements in disease prevention, personalized treatments, and even potentially finding cures for diseases that were once thought to be incurable.

4. Where do we go from here in terms of space exploration?

The possibilities for space exploration are endless. As technology continues to advance, we can expect to see more missions to Mars and potentially even other planets in our solar system. Private space companies are also making significant strides in commercial space travel.

5. Where do we go from here in terms of ethical considerations in science?

Ethical considerations in science will always be a crucial aspect of research and development. As technology becomes more advanced, it is important for scientists to consider the potential implications and consequences of their work on society and the environment.