Where Do Contributors Here Work? Nuclear Engineering Careers

• Thread starter timerfree
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Clancy works for a nuclear power plant, is an undergraduate researcher assisting a professor, and is working on qualifications for parts for the nuclear industry. He also works as a radiation safety officer for a startup company.
timerfree
I've been reading these forums for a while now and I'm just a little curious where the majority of the contributors here work. I am currently a Master's student (possibly PhD, we'll see) in Nuclear Engineering and I want to know a little more about this career field.

So my question is, where do you work?

Company names don't have to be given but description of your work would be interesting, i.e. at a powerplant, academia, fuel vendor, defense contractor, regulatory organization, patent office, national laboratory, engineering firm, etc.

Let's see how expansive this field really is.

Previous experiences are welcomed as well.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I might consider it if you were a PF contributor with more than 1 post. :shy:

im a lab tech for a nanotechnology company dealing with ceramics :)

I'm assuming you are asking about people who work in a field related to Nuclear Engineering? I'm not sure if I would qualify. U.S. Air Force with experience in Nuclear Weapons.

timerfree said:
I've been reading these forums for a while now and I'm just a little curious where the majority of the contributors here work. I am currently a Master's student (possibly PhD, we'll see) in Nuclear Engineering and I want to know a little more about this career field.

Company names don't have to be given but description of your work would be interesting, i.e. at a powerplant, academia, fuel vendor, defense contractor, regulatory organization, patent office, national laboratory, engineering firm, etc.

Let's see how expansive this field really is.

Previous experiences are welcomed as well.

34 years, including US Navy as commissioned officer on nuclear submarines, engineer at US BWR, as an engineer in US nuclear corporation operating both BWRs and PWRs, and as independent contractor at both PWRs and BWRs.

timerfree said:

I work for a US Dept of Energy National Laboratory.

Greg

I'm working towards my Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering (Computer Engineering).

But blowing up nuke plants are more interesting than classes about electronics and magnetic fields, so I'm participating in discussions now and then...

Last edited:
retired now, was instrument maintenance man in power plant for thirty+ years

now have moved far from madding crowds. culture here in Arkansas Ozarks centers on pickup trucks gunshows and fishing. Recall Gerry Rafferty's line in "Baker Street": '..some quiet little town..'

clancy i hear you - i too grew tired of the mathematical tap dancing , found a course in reactor operation and got hooked. if you like neutrons and electric motors and steam , plant maintenance is a paradise. What kid wouldn't love a million horsepower steam engine?

old jim

Undergraduate in Nuclear Engineering. During the year, I'm an undergraduate researcher assisting a professor in Thermal Hydraulics research.

During the summer, I work at an under construction nuclear power plant.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucabevilacqua

Last edited by a moderator:
Luca Bevil said:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lucabevilacqua

ATOS , did you fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently on a co-op term, working for a contrator doing qualifications on parts for the nuclear industry.

Radiation Safety Officer for a startup company doing R&D for a new teletherapy medical device.

The garage, mostly. Sometimes the backyard if the wife gets her way, though she does most of the housework so I don't have to work around the house very much. It varies a lot, actually.

1. What is nuclear engineering?

Nuclear engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the application of nuclear processes, such as nuclear reactions and radiation, to generate energy or to create and improve products and materials.

2. What types of careers are available in nuclear engineering?

There are a variety of careers available in nuclear engineering, including reactor design and operation, nuclear research and development, radiation protection, and nuclear waste management.

3. Where do nuclear engineering contributors typically work?

Nuclear engineering contributors can work in a variety of settings, including nuclear power plants, government agencies, research laboratories, and consulting firms.

4. What education and training is required for a career in nuclear engineering?

A bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering or a related field is typically required for entry-level positions in the field. Many employers also prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher. Additionally, nuclear engineers must be licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) to work in nuclear power plants.

5. What skills are necessary for a career in nuclear engineering?

Some important skills for a career in nuclear engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, knowledge of nuclear physics and engineering principles, and proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for working in a collaborative and highly regulated field like nuclear engineering.