Where does a radially falling test particle cross the inner horizon of RN BH?

In summary, the discussion is about a particle falling into a Reissner-Nordstrom black hole and where it will cross the inner horizon. The Penrose diagram shows the particle crossing to the right of the horizon crossing, and the potential and time dilation are discussed. However, it is stated that the location where the particle crosses the inner horizon is dependent on its initial conditions and cannot be determined from the information given.
LAHLH
Hi,

If a particle falls radially into a Reissner-Nordstrom BH with Q<M (i.e the case where you have an inner and and out horizon), then where in the conformal diagram does the test particle cross the inner horizon [tex]r_{-}[/tex]?

See for example the righthand Penrose diagram of http://tinyurl.com/6e54fu2 to see what I'm talking about. This Penrose diagram shows the particle crossing to the right of where the horizon crossing occurs, not directly through the cross X nor to the left of it. I would like to able to see why it doesn't go directly through the centre of the X or somewhere else.

I believe one can analyse this in Schwarzschild type coords in the region between the outer and inner horizons, for radial timelike geodesics of RN we have:

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \dot{r}^2+V(r)=\frac{E^2}{2} [/tex]

with [tex] V(r)=\left[\frac{1}{2}-\frac{M}{r}+\frac{Q^2}{2r^2}\right][/tex]

This potential goes to zero at both horizons and tends to positive infinity at r goes to zero.

It's also true that [tex] \frac{dt}{d\tau}=\frac{E}{1-\frac{2M}{r}+\frac{Q^2}{r^2}} [/tex], is going to go to infinity as you approach the horizons (just like it does when you approach r=2M in Schw), but this doesn't mean you can't cross the horizon, it's an illusion and just like in Schw if you transform into the equivalent of ingoing Eddington Finkelstein there is no problem crossing the horizon.

But I have no idea how any of this tells me where it crosses the inner horizon in the sense I mentioned above?

Physics news on Phys.org
LAHLH said:
I have no idea how any of this tells me where it crosses the inner horizon in the sense I mentioned above?

That's because it doesn't. A radially infalling particle can cross anywhere on the inner horizon; there are radial timelike geodesics through every point on the horizon. Where a given particle actually crosses depends on the initial conditions of its motion, i.e., the conditions that determine which particular geodesic is its worldline.

1. How is the inner horizon of a RN BH defined?

The inner horizon of a RN BH (Reissner-Nordström black hole) is the point of no return for any object falling into the black hole. It is the innermost boundary of the event horizon, where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.

2. What is a radially falling test particle?

A radially falling test particle is an object that is being pulled towards the center of a black hole in a straight line. It is used as a theoretical tool to study the behavior and characteristics of black holes.

3. How does a radially falling test particle cross the inner horizon of a RN BH?

A radially falling test particle crosses the inner horizon of a RN BH when it reaches the point where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light. At this point, the particle is unable to escape the gravitational pull of the black hole and is inevitably pulled into the singularity at the center.

4. What factors affect the location of the inner horizon of a RN BH?

The location of the inner horizon of a RN BH is affected by the mass and charge of the black hole. A higher mass black hole will have a larger inner horizon, while a higher charge black hole will have a smaller inner horizon. Additionally, the speed and direction of the falling test particle can also affect the location of the inner horizon.

5. Is the inner horizon of a RN BH the same as the event horizon?

No, the inner horizon of a RN BH is not the same as the event horizon. The inner horizon is the innermost boundary of the event horizon, while the event horizon is the point of no return for any object falling into the black hole. The inner horizon is also not a physical surface, but rather a mathematical boundary that defines the point where the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.