Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does Google get its money from?

1. Sep 28, 2005 #1
    Where does Google get its money from?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2005 #2
    stock investors
  4. Sep 28, 2005 #3
    Why would anyone want to invest in Google's stock?
  5. Sep 28, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

6. Sep 29, 2005 #5

less than 3 months after its IPO, which was $85, google's stock went up to $187 dollars per share . :surprised. Google is worth BILLIONS of dollars.
  7. Sep 29, 2005 #6
    Google gets 90% of their revenue from advertising, but most of their capital from investors. Alot of people were skeptical of Google when they turned IPO, but they've started to diversify and keep making good moves.
  8. Sep 29, 2005 #7

I'm not sure how much of their money comes from it but they provide services for businesses and what not. I think they also create certain sorts of software for things like search engines that they sell too.
  9. Sep 29, 2005 #8
    From people who so appreciate the "I'm feeling lucky" hit that comes up when they google "failure" that they send them buckets and buckets of cash.
  10. Sep 29, 2005 #9
    Thats for sure.

For instance, Google radiators and the top of the page will have web sites for companies selling car radiators. These companies pay google to put their links there. Almost any product you can think of can be found on google.

I was trying to google up some sources for parts for my old truck last week and was pleasantly surprised.
  11. Sep 29, 2005 #10

Gold Member

Yah... google does recieve a lot of money from the lowest common denominator.
  12. Sep 29, 2005 #11
    Isn't the lowest common denominator the one that basically appeals to everyone at some level?

So.... 'fess up.
  13. Sep 29, 2005 #12
    Google Earth is a brilliant move. I saw CNN using it as a dynamic map the other day.
  14. Sep 29, 2005 #13
  15. Sep 29, 2005 #14

Gold Member

Its the one with only the most basic knowledge among the species
  16. Sep 29, 2005 #15
    :tongue2: Look, I realize I'm being dense, but are you saying you don't have the most basic knowledge?
  17. Sep 29, 2005 #16

Gold Member

Sure don't

Its like learning math. You become so emersed in complicated math that you end up forgetting how to divide correctly! Or are totally stumped with projectile motion after learning how to solve Schrodenger equations (sp?).

My friend had that happen to him. He's upper division physics major and he just had no idea how to do this basic first semester introductory physics course kinematics problem.
  18. Sep 30, 2005 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Aren't they violating their principles by doing that? A site isn't random if the same site comes up every time.
  19. Sep 30, 2005 #18
    I don't think randomness has anything to do with it. The I'm feeling lucky button just brings you directly to the first page that comes up for your search. At least that was my understanding of it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?