Where does Google get its money from?

In summary, Google gets most of its money from advertising and investors. They have also diversified their services and products, such as creating software for search engines. The "I'm feeling lucky" button is not based on randomness, but rather takes the user to the first page that comes up for their search. They have also made strategic moves, such as partnering with NASA and creating Google Earth, which has gained CNN's attention. However, some people have questioned whether Google is violating their principles by allowing the same site to come up every time for the "I'm feeling lucky" button.
chound

Physics news on Phys.org
stock investors

gravenewworld said:
stock investors
Why would anyone want to invest in Google's stock?

chound said:
Advertising.

less than 3 months after its IPO, which was $85, google's stock went up to $187 dollars per share . . Google is worth BILLIONS of dollars.

chound said:

Google gets 90% of their revenue from advertising, but most of their capital from investors. Alot of people were skeptical of Google when they turned IPO, but they've started to diversify and keep making good moves.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/about.html

I'm not sure how much of their money comes from it but they provide services for businesses and what not. I think they also create certain sorts of software for things like search engines that they sell too.

chound said:
From people who so appreciate the "I'm feeling lucky" hit that comes up when they google "failure" that they send them buckets and buckets of cash.

Evo said:
Advertising.

Thats for sure.

For instance, Google radiators and the top of the page will have web sites for companies selling car radiators. These companies pay google to put their links there. Almost any product you can think of can be found on google.

I was trying to google up some sources for parts for my old truck last week and was pleasantly surprised.

pattylou said:
From people who so appreciate the "I'm feeling lucky" hit that comes up when they google "failure" that they send them buckets and buckets of cash.

Yah... google does receive a lot of money from the lowest common denominator.

Isn't the lowest common denominator the one that basically appeals to everyone at some level?

So... 'fess up.

Google Earth is a brilliant move. I saw CNN using it as a dynamic map the other day.

pattylou said:
Isn't the lowest common denominator the one that basically appeals to everyone at some level?

Its the one with only the most basic knowledge among the species
:tongue2:

:tongue2: Look, I realize I'm being dense, but are you saying you don't have the most basic knowledge?

pattylou said:
:tongue2: Look, I realize I'm being dense, but are you saying you don't have the most basic knowledge?

Sure don't

Its like learning math. You become so emersed in complicated math that you end up forgetting how to divide correctly! Or are totally stumped with projectile motion after learning how to solve Schrodenger equations (sp?).

My friend had that happen to him. He's upper division physics major and he just had no idea how to do this basic first semester introductory physics course kinematics problem.

pattylou said:

Aren't they violating their principles by doing that? A site isn't random if the same site comes up every time.

loseyourname said:
Aren't they violating their principles by doing that? A site isn't random if the same site comes up every time.

I don't think randomness has anything to do with it. The I'm feeling lucky button just brings you directly to the first page that comes up for your search. At least that was my understanding of it.

1. Where does Google get its money from?

Google primarily generates revenue through its online advertising platform, Google Ads. Companies pay to have their ads displayed on Google's search engine results pages, as well as on other websites and mobile apps.

2. How much money does Google make from advertising?

In 2020, Google's advertising revenue totaled $146.92 billion, making up 80.4% of the company's total revenue. This was a decrease from the previous year due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.

3. Does Google make money from other sources besides advertising?

Yes, Google also earns money from its cloud computing services, which include Google Cloud Platform and G Suite. Other sources of revenue include Google Play Store sales, hardware sales (such as Pixel phones and Nest devices), and licensing fees from its search engine.

4. How does Google determine the cost of ads?

Google uses a pay-per-click (PPC) system, where advertisers only pay when someone clicks on their ad. The cost of an ad is determined through an auction process, where advertisers bid on keywords and the top bidders have their ads displayed on Google's search results.

5. Does Google collect any other forms of revenue?

Yes, Google also earns money through its subsidiary companies, such as YouTube, Google Maps, and Google Play Store. These services generate revenue through subscriptions, paid content, and in-app purchases.