Where does the bow and arrow come from?

• Thread starter Panda
  • Start date
So to summarise the thread so far, the bow and arrow were developed from:

a) Fire Lighting
b) Stringed Musical Instruments (Harp, Lyre, Grand Piano)
c) Nothing, it was a Eureka moment

My money is on B, all I need to do is find a fossilised Fender Stratocaster and I'll be able to prove it.

Any other ideas?

D H

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Any other ideas?
Your summary missed evolution from the atlat and sling (not slingshot), see ray b's post.

I suspect the harp and lyre followed from the bow, not the other way around.

baywax

Gold Member
Your summary missed evolution from the atlat and sling (not slingshot), see ray b's post.

I suspect the harp and lyre followed from the bow, not the other way around.
You have a point about the similar hunting impliments. I could also see the harpoon leading to a bow and arrow in that the harpoon's tether would demonstrate the tauntness of a lead once it was in use. bravo!

I still can't find a series of logical inventions that create a bow and arrow from other practicle weapons.

If you have a hand axe and club then you make a flint axe. Axe heads flying off during use could give you the idea to use the axe handle to hurl a spear. So I can see a logical evolution of the spear thrower as a compound weapon.

But a bow and arrow uses spears too short to throw and a stick and sinew arrangement that has to be complete before it will work.

Being a rocket scientist I don't know the time lines, but it has just occurred to me that if the bow came after fire then it might be possible that the bow was developed for peaceful fire lighting purposes and then was turned into a weapon, but I'm not sure that all civilisations use bows for fire lighting. A recent programe I saw indicated that acient Britons used the abundent flint and iron pyrate nodules found on the beaches across most of southern England.

Well, don't underestimate how smart people are. Just tryit yourself - go out in the woods for a few days and try to make the stuff you need. Your circumstances would soon guide you to start experimenting and thinking up ideas. Humans have the abilitiy to conceptually extrapolate, as well as physically *accidentally* come across improvements.

Not to mention that people had a lot more time for such things - you'd be sat, cleaning your spears, thinkign about how you missed that hog today..and your mind would wonder.
Maybe soemone makes a child's toy- a shuttlecock out of some feathers... or maybe youlink flight with feathers. See, an arrow doesn't have to be fletched - just some fluff or something, like cotton, can start to imptove its aerodynamics - look at blow guns - they use a bit of fluff sometimes as the *feather* part.

Maybe you make a whip, for some reason? Maybe you are just messing and you tie a piec of string on to a pieve of wood... maybe it's for fire lighting, and you flick a stick at your mate for a laugh and have a 2001 moment!

We see the same processes all of the time. Understnading tension in wood, and using string probably came first from snares - people are very clever. Even back in the day!

What's more interesting is those old space rockets that are *fletched* like arrows - with aerofoils on - or whatever the are! Big arrows! Funny.... and just like that you can see the continuum of human thought.