Where Does the Energy Go in a Quantum System with 3 Possible Measurements?

• I
  • Thread starter romsofia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: In a two-slit experiment, for instance, the particle is illuminated by a different quantum potential before and after the slit. In a Stern-Gerlach experiment, the particle is exposed to a different quantum potential before and after the magnet.
romsofia
Start with a quantum system with some observable, and 3 possible measurements. We can then take some random prepared state as ## \left| \psi \right> = 3\left| a_1 \right> - 2 \left| a_2 \right> + 2i \left| a_3 \right>##

Now, am I right in thinking that each of these possible states has some energy associated to them? I would think that because our state has some energy associated with it.

When the outcome is known, what happens to the energy associated with the rest of the states (assuming that we can associate energy with states in superposition)? Does the energy just become noise in our system?

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
If one makes an energy measurment the result will be an eigenvalue of ##\hat{H}## the Hamiltonian operator. The fact that the wave function is this or that superposition of some other observable is irrelevant.

If you measure your observable the result is obviously an ##a_i## but the state of the system after this depends on the the physical aspects of the measurement. So I guess the answer is 'it depends'.

(Your ##\left| \psi \right> ## needs some adjustment to normalise it.)

Last edited:
Yes, I know the posulates say that, but I'm asking before a measurement takes place should all three outcomes above have an energy associated to them?

To make it clear, I know that operators acting on kets is how we get physical observables, but my question relates I guess to the initial state, before operators are introduced. Am I forcing physics onto the math in this case?

Last edited:
romsofia said:
Yes, I know the posulates say that, but I'm asking before a measurement takes place should all three outcomes above have an energy associated to them?

To make it clear, I know that operators acting on kets is how we get physical observables, but my question relates I guess to the initial state, before operators are introduced. Am I forcing physics onto the math in this case?
I don't understand the question. It's too general. You need to give a Hamiltonian before it can be answered, I think.

romsofia said:
before a measurement takes place should all three outcomes above have an energy associated to them?

If you don't measure the energy, you can't say the system has an energy.

In fact, that's a good general rule for any quantum observable: if you don't measure the observable, you can't say the system has a value for that observable.

Likes Demystifier
Moderator's note: I have changed the level of this thread to "I" since the OP question does not justify an "A".

PeterDonis said:

In fact, that's a good general rule for any quantum observable: if you don't measure the observable, you can't say the system has a value for that observable.
I guess I'll be more specific, and will start by stop saying energy when I mean information.

What happens to the information given by the other states that were NOT measured? By quantum mechanics itself, information cannot be destroyed, but it seems in the Stern-Gerlach experiments, information is destroyed? How can this be? Does the information from the other possible measurements just become noise? In other words, how does the 5th postulate handle the inherent information of each state if we have no information about it? Or am I trying to force meaning out of math?

The 5 postulate (taken from a textbook) is: After a measurement of A that yields the result ##a_n##, the quantum system is in a new state that is the normalized projection of the original system ket onto the ket (or kets) corresponding to the result of the measurement ## \left |\psi' \right> =\frac{P_n \left| \psi \right>}{\sqrt{| \left< \psi |P_n| \psi \right>}} ##

If you guys need me to make an example, I can write one up involving the Stein-Gerlach experiment..

romsofia said:
What happens to the information given by the other states that were NOT measured?

That depends on which interpretation of QM you adopt. If you avoid interpretation and just look at the math of QM, there is no answer to this question.

romsofia said:
By quantum mechanics itself, information cannot be destroyed

No, by unitary evolution, information cannot be destroyed. But unitary evolution might not be all there is--that depends on which interpretation of QM you adopt. Roughly speaking, "collapse" interpretations say that unitary evolution is not all there is--there are also wave function collapses when measurements occur, which are not unitary and do not necessarily preserve information; while "no collapse" interpretations like the many-worlds interpretation say that unitary evolution is all there is, and information is never destroyed. But there are a lot of nuances.

Likes romsofia, Demystifier and Mentz114
PeterDonis said:

Yes, that's probably the best answer from the orthodox operational point of view. But it's interesting to see how other interpretations answer the same question. For instance in Bohmian interpretation, the quantum potential (associated with the superposition of wave functions with different energies) has an explicit time-dependence. Consequently, in the absence of measurement, the energy of the particle is well defined but not conserved.

Likes romsofia

1. Where does the energy go when it is converted from one form to another?

Energy is never created or destroyed, but it can be converted from one form to another. For example, when chemical energy is converted to thermal energy in a fire, the energy is still present but has changed forms. The Law of Conservation of Energy states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant, and it simply changes from one form to another.

2. How is energy lost during energy conversion?

During energy conversion, some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound. This is due to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that energy will always flow from a higher concentration to a lower concentration until equilibrium is reached. Therefore, some energy is always lost during energy conversion.

3. Can energy be stored?

Yes, energy can be stored in various forms. For example, mechanical energy can be stored in a wound-up spring or compressed gas, while electrical energy can be stored in a battery or capacitor. This stored energy can then be converted and used at a later time.

4. What happens to energy when it is not being used?

When energy is not being used, it remains in its current form until it is converted into another form. For example, the energy stored in a battery will remain as electrical energy until it is used to power a device, and the energy in a wind turbine will remain as mechanical energy until it is used to generate electricity.

5. How can we track the flow of energy?

We can track the flow of energy through an energy system using the Law of Conservation of Energy. By measuring the amount of energy entering and leaving the system, we can determine how much energy is being converted and where it is going. This can help us understand the efficiency of energy conversion and identify areas for improvement.