Where does the universe dwell?

• Thread starter Phy6explorer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses the placement of various astronomical objects, such as Earth, the Solar System, the Milky Way Galaxy, and the universe. It is also mentioned that the universe is defined as everything that exists and does not "dwell" in anything else. One person jokingly claims that the universe revolves around themselves, while another dismisses the conversation as not philosophical.
Phy6explorer
Everything has a place doesn't it?

Earth is in the Solar System, Solar System is in the Milky Way Galaxy and,Milky Way in the universe, and the universe...?

Space news on Phys.org
The universe is, by definition, everything exists, and thus does not "dwell" in anything else!

Where ever it is, I know that it revolves around me. :)

Most of it is a long time away.

Alfi said:
Where ever it is, I know that it revolves around me. :)

Most of it is a long time away.

Actually it revolves around ME! :tongue2:

The universe dwells within itself.

The fifth quadrant of the alpha-epsilon sector, of course.

This is rubbish, and not Philosophy. Thread locked!

1. Where is the center of the universe located?

The concept of a "center" of the universe is a common misconception. The universe does not have a center because it is constantly expanding and there is no fixed point that everything is moving away from. Every point in the universe can be considered the center from that perspective.

2. Is the universe infinite or does it have an edge?

The universe is most likely infinite in size. This means that it does not have an edge or boundary. However, the observable universe, which is the portion of the universe that we can see, is limited by the distance that light has been able to travel since the beginning of the universe.

3. Is there anything beyond the universe?

The concept of "beyond the universe" is difficult to define because the universe encompasses all of space and time. Some theories suggest that there could be other universes or dimensions beyond our own, but there is currently no way to prove or disprove this.

4. Is the universe expanding or contracting?

The universe is currently expanding and has been since the Big Bang. This expansion is accelerating, meaning that the rate of expansion is increasing over time. There is no evidence to suggest that the universe will ever contract.

5. How old is the universe?

The current estimated age of the universe is around 13.8 billion years. This is based on observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is the leftover glow from the Big Bang. However, this age is constantly being refined as new data and theories are developed.