Where does the formula for dtheta in polar coordinates come from?

• Thread starter Moose352
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for dtheta as given in the textbook is derived using polar coordinates. By expressing x and y in terms of r and theta, and differentiating both sides of the equation, we can arrive at the formula. Alternatively, the formula can be found directly from the diagram by calculating the change in angle from delta x and delta y separately, and then adding them together. This is done by forming a right triangle and using trigonometry to find the length of the segment that represents delta theta. The sign of delta theta is negative, and the formula is derived as - (y * delta x) / (r^2).
Moose352
For this diagram: http://ananth.ath.cx/coag.jpg

The textbook gives the formula for dtheta as (x*dy-y*dx) / (x^2 + y^2) assuming that r' ~ r. How is this formula derived?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The easiest way is to use polar coordinates:

[tex]x = r \cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]y = r \sin \theta[/tex]

From these you can express theta as a function of x and y, and then differentiate both sides of the equation. You can also find this formula directly from the diagram by first calculating the [tex]\Delta \theta_1[/tex] that arises from [tex]\Delta x[/tex], and then [tex]\Delta \theta_2[/tex] that arises from [tex]\Delta y[/tex]. The add them to get [tex]\Delta \theta[/tex]. Note that a positive delta x decreases the angle ([tex]\Delta \theta_1[/tex] is negative). But in the diagram delta x looks (slightly?) negative.

Last edited:
Thanks PBRMEASAP!

But I'm a bit confused by the second part. You write that i can simply add theta1 and theta2 together to find theta. How exactly do I find the theta1 and theta2 that arise from dx and dy?

Well, it's hard to describe without a visual aid, but I don't know how to put up a picture that isn't too large a file (I tried to post something I drew in Paint one time and it wouldn't take it).

For the delta x part, draw a picture where r' only differs from r by a small delta x (delta y = 0). Draw the little segment of length delta x that connects the end of r to end of r'. Now draw another small segment from the end of r so that it intersects r' at 90 deg. You now have formed a little right triangle with delta x as the hypotenuse. And the length of that last little segment you drew is [tex]r \Delta \theta[/tex] (approximately).

Now here's the trick. Say that r makes an angle theta (not delta theta) with the x-axis. Then so does r', approximately, since it only differs from r by a small x displacement. Then by alternate interior angles, r' makes an angle theta with the little delta x segment (still with me? :-)). Now you can see that the segment of length [tex]r \Delta \theta[/tex] is equal in magnitude to [tex]\Delta x \ \sin \theta[/tex]. Looking at the picture, you can see that the sign of delta theta is negative, so we get

[tex]\Delta \theta = -\frac{\Delta x \sin \theta}{r} = -\frac{y \Delta x}{r^2}[/tex]

The contribution from delta y is found the same way. Were you able to get the answer from polar coordinates?

Last edited:

1. Where does this come from?

This is a commonly asked question in the fields of biology, chemistry, and physics. It refers to the source or origin of a particular substance, material, or phenomenon.

2. How do scientists determine where something comes from?

Scientists use a variety of methods and techniques to determine the origin of something. This can include analyzing its chemical composition, studying its physical properties, conducting experiments, and comparing it to other known substances.

3. Why is it important to know where something comes from?

Understanding the source of a substance or phenomenon is crucial for many reasons. It can help us better understand its properties and behavior, track its movement or evolution, and make informed decisions about its use or potential risks.

4. Can something have multiple origins?

Yes, it is possible for something to have multiple origins. For example, a substance may be made up of elements from different sources, or a phenomenon may have multiple contributing factors.

5. How do scientists trace the origins of a complex system?

Tracing the origins of a complex system, such as a biological process or a network of chemical reactions, can be challenging. Scientists often use a combination of experimental data, mathematical models, and computer simulations to reconstruct how the system evolved and identify its origins.