Where Have My Pics Gone? Troubleshooting Computer-Camera Issues

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, the user attempted to down load pictures from their SD card to their computer, but they are not loading anymore. The camera is still working, but the pictures are not loading.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I have managed to down load loads of my pics via sd card to my computer
but now i can not load any new ones, they just do not show up, i think the camera is still working ok.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
I have managed to down load loads of my pics via sd card to my computer
but now i can not load any new ones, they just do not show up, i think the camera is still working ok.
Did you delete them off the card?

Evo said:
Did you delete them off the card?

I do not know how to, i took one of a great rainbow today i hope i have not lost it permanently.

If the camera didn't yell at you to tell you the card was full, you should be ok.

russ_watters said:
If the camera didn't yell at you to tell you the card was full, you should be ok.

No, no warnings, but the previous pic i thought i had loaded is not there now either, may be they are loading to a different folder?

My camera software dumps pictures in "shared pictures" rather than "my pictures" by default. Try there?

If not, select search from the start menu. Search for pictures and on the advanced options set the 'last modified' dates to either the day you transferred the pictures or the day you took them, then just search for *
That should bring up any pictures created or modified on the date you specify, so your photos should be there somewhere.

Hope you find them.

Last edited:
matthyaouw said:
My camera software dumps pictures in "shared pictures" rather than "my pictures" by default. Try there?

If not, select search from the start menu. Search for pictures and on the advanced options set the 'last modified' dates to either the day you transferred the pictures or the day you took them, then just search for *
That should bring up any pictures created or modified on the date you specify, so your photos should be there somewhere.

Hope you find them.

Thanks mathyaouw, i will try that later.

Maybe you saved them on Evo's computer...the one that went kerplooey. The two of you should definitely not be allowed on the same continent. :biggrin:

most have a similar 'name' before renaming with the usual extension---mvcxxx.jpg or dscxxx.jpg ---do a 'file find' for the name --like a search for mvc*.jpg----

Moonbear said:
Maybe you saved them on Evo's computer...the one that went kerplooey. The two of you should definitely not be allowed on the same continent. :biggrin:

Well i think that is a bit austerulous calling me a danger to continents.
I am sure Evo would not harm them either.

1. Why are my pictures missing from my computer?

There could be several reasons for your pictures to be missing from your computer. It could be due to accidental deletion, a virus or malware infection, a software or hardware issue, or a problem with your camera or memory card.

2. How can I retrieve my missing pictures?

If you have accidentally deleted your pictures, you can try to recover them from your computer's Recycle Bin or Trash folder. If that does not work, you can use data recovery software to retrieve them. If your pictures were lost due to a virus or malware infection, you may need to use an antivirus program to remove the threat and then try to recover your pictures.

3. Why can't I see my pictures on my camera?

If you are unable to see your pictures on your camera, it could be due to a connection issue between your camera and computer, a corrupted memory card, or a problem with your camera's settings. Make sure your camera is properly connected to your computer and try to access the pictures again. If that does not work, try using a different memory card or checking your camera's settings.

4. How do I troubleshoot camera-computer connection issues?

To troubleshoot camera-computer connection issues, you can try the following steps:

• Make sure your camera is turned on and properly connected to your computer.
  • Check your camera's settings to ensure it is set to "mass storage" or "PTP" mode.
  • Restart your computer and try connecting your camera again.
  • Try using a different USB port or cable.
  • If you are using a memory card, try removing it from the camera and using a card reader to access the pictures on your computer.

5. What should I do if my pictures are still missing after troubleshooting?

If your pictures are still missing after troubleshooting, you may need to seek professional help from a data recovery service. They have specialized tools and techniques to retrieve lost or deleted data from various devices. It is also important to regularly back up your pictures to prevent the loss of important memories in the future.