Solving Electric Field Vector Problems Using Gauss's Law

In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty in finding similar problems on the internet that use direct vectors on Maxwell's equations for practice in preparation for an exam. The use of Gauss's law on the electric field vector to get the charge density is mentioned, but the problem is that similar examples are not readily available. The person asks for recommendations of textbooks or resources that have similar problems, and the other person suggests looking at other textbooks with similar titles.
mohammed
I'm preparing for exam but it seems I can't find problems similar to this on the internet.
1634210108517.png

Here I will apply Gauss's law on the electric field vector to get the charge density. but the problem is that I can't find similar examples on the internet that uses direct vectors on Maxwell's equations.

Is there some examples or books or even videos that have similar kind of problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculation of div E would give you an answer.

Thanks but that what I said in "Here I will apply Gauss's law on the electric field vector to get the charge density".

I'm looking for more examples and problems similar in form to this question not in just Gauss's Law but for all the Maxwell's equations. I need it for practice.

What textbook are you using? What are its main competitors?

Likes mohammed
I use "Elements of Electromagnetics" as main book.

Usually one names a textbook by its authors, since they all have much the same title.

But my point was that a good source of problems can be found in other, similar textbooks.

Likes mohammed

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

2. How do I use Gauss's Law to solve electric field vector problems?

To use Gauss's Law, you need to follow these steps:

• Choose a closed surface that encloses the charge distribution you want to analyze.
  • Calculate the total charge enclosed by the surface.
  • Calculate the electric flux through the surface.
  • Set the electric flux equal to the total charge enclosed divided by the permittivity of free space.
  • Solve for the electric field.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used for any charge distribution?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be used for any charge distribution, as long as the charge is enclosed by the chosen closed surface. However, it is most useful for symmetrical charge distributions, as it simplifies the calculation of the electric flux.

4. What are the units of the permittivity of free space?

The units of the permittivity of free space, ε0, are coulombs squared per newton per square meter (C2/N·m2).

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied in situations with changing electric fields?

No, Gauss's Law only applies to static electric fields. It cannot be used to analyze situations with changing electric fields, such as in the case of electromagnetic waves.