1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Where in the world are engineers treated best?

1. Nov 13, 2017 #21
    However what I experienced was a whole sale lay off not a performance based termination. I probably should have said lay off rather than "s*it canned", but thats really what it is. Other things are important but once you experience a lay off and then the subsequent market satuartion its a pretty sobering experience, everyone else that was involved in the mass lay off is out there with you competing for the few jobs. Unless you want to completely uproot and move around all the time.

2. Nov 13, 2017 #22

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Post #14:
    The trouble with study something on your own is that you do not receive credit for it. (Maybe you find ways to share your new skill or knowledge with someone in some practical way, and call for recognition?)

3. Nov 13, 2017 #23

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

[edited my previous post because I said it backwards, but I think you got it...]
    Sorry for your bad luck, but there are no laws that can totally prevent such a thing. If a company loses money and risks going out of business, they have to do whole sale layoffs to survive.
    Yes, it sucks. But given that the average unemployment rate in the US for engineers over time is under 5%, it means you will spend about 20x more of your adult life having a job than not having one. I don't think it is wise to look for a policy that hurts you for 20x more of the time than it helps.

4. Nov 13, 2017 #24

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

A better question compared to the title of the topic is, what subject should someone study so that he will likely be treated the best? Next question, is engineering one of the answers? Never mind where in the world you are.

5. Nov 13, 2017 #25
    That might be a good point, i was without a job for a year and a half after I graduated but then had a 12 year run without being laid off. I think being jobless for a year and a half after graduating is kinda burned into my head because back in the late 90's engineering was suppose to be a golden ticket and it was for a while but 4-5 years in the engineering pipe is a long time for things to change and change they did.

6. Nov 13, 2017 #26
    Thats a good point, is there such a subject, skill set or trade? I probably should have asked this almost 20 years ago lol.

7. Nov 13, 2017 #27
    You can do pre-requisites this way to qualify for masters classes or in order to build out an actual product or build scientific apparatus, however, when you are laid off and you have that stain on your phyce its pretty tough to justify science experements over finanical independance. So then science and engineering become a retirement hobby if you dont run out of time first due to the lack of job security.

8. Nov 14, 2017 #28

ISamson

Gold Member

In the US.
    Where there is money and work, there are engineers. Where there is money engineers like it. Engineers like it - they feel they are treated best. And that's it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted