Is the T x S^1 action on C^infinity functions free?

• Thread starter Firefly!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the group G = SU(n) and its maximal torus T, which is the group of diagonal matrices in SU(n) with elements in S^1. The group M consists of C^infinity functions f: S^1 -> G satisfying f(0)=1. There is a T x S^1 action on M, where T acts by conjugation and S^1 acts by "rotation" (e^it.f)(s)=f(s+t)/f(t). The discussion focuses on finding where this action is free, with considerations for the stabilizers of different types of f. The factor groups M/{f(s) in T} and M/{f in Hom(S^1,G)}
Firefly!
Let G = SU(n), T = maximal torus of G
(so T is the group of diagonal matrices in SU(n) with elements in S^1)

M = C^infinity functions f: S^1 -> G s.t. f(0)=1

There is a T x S^1 action on M. T acts by conjugation & S^1 actions by "rotation"; (e^it.f)(s)=f(s+t)/f(t).

I'm trying to find where this action is free...

I thought I could find the stabilizers for the different 'types' of f & then consider the factor groups. I'm not sure this is an appropriate way to address this problem.

eg. f is fixed by T precisely when f(s) is in T
eg. f is fixed by S^1 if f is a homomorphism S^1-> G

I'm not sure if these are all of the stabilizers I need to consider. I'm also having problems describing the corresponding factor groups M/{f(s) in T} & M/{f in Hom(S^1,G)}

Any thoughts on any of this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

1. Where can I find action-free environments for my research?

There are a few different options for finding action-free environments for your research. One option is to search for existing datasets or simulations that are specifically designed to be action-free. Another option is to create your own action-free environment using computer modeling or virtual reality technology.

2. Why is it important to have action-free environments in scientific research?

Action-free environments are important because they allow researchers to isolate and study specific variables without the interference of external factors, such as human actions. This can help to eliminate confounding variables and improve the validity of research findings.

3. What types of research benefit from using action-free environments?

Action-free environments can be beneficial for a wide range of research fields, including psychology, neuroscience, and artificial intelligence. Any research that involves studying the effects of specific variables or conditions can benefit from using action-free environments.

4. Are there any limitations to using action-free environments in scientific research?

Like any research method, there are limitations to using action-free environments. These environments may not accurately reflect real-world situations, and the results may not be generalizable to the larger population. Additionally, creating or finding action-free environments can be time-consuming and costly.

5. How can I ensure that my action-free environment is valid and reliable?

To ensure the validity and reliability of an action-free environment, it is important to carefully design and test the environment before conducting research. This may involve pilot studies, peer review, and validation measures. It is also important to clearly define and control for all variables in the environment to minimize potential confounds.