Runway Length for Plane Takeoff in Windy Conditions

• Thread starter omagdon7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mistake
Warrior to take off is 855.5 meters, taking into account the 12 km/hr head wind and using the acceleration from the previous problem. However, the mistake in the calculations was the incorrect consideration of the wind speed as a negative value, when in reality it was providing lift for the plane. When the correct value was used, the answer was the same, but the approach to the problem was different.
omagdon7
The Warrior can take off when its airspeed (speed of the air flowing over the wing) is equal to 100 km/hr. What is the length of runway, in meters, required for the plane to take off if there is a 12 km/hr head wind? Note: the shortest runway at the Rochester International Airport has a length of 1000 m. Take the acceleration from the the answer of the previous question. The acceleration from past problem was .444444444444444m/s^2

Okay so first I set
100=-12+.444444444t
then 112=.444444444t
convert 112 to m/s
31.1111111=.4444444444t
t=70
then I use that time in
x=-3.333t+(1/2)(.44444444)t^2
and solve for x right? and I get
855.57m as the length of the runway but this is incorrect so where exactly is my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
A head wind means the wind is hitting the windshield (and the front of the wings). A tail wind means the wind is hitting the tail (and the back of the wings).

In other words, while sitting still, the plane has an airspeed of 12 km/hr (not -12 km/hr)

so then...
100=12+.44444t
88=.444444t
88/3.6/.4444444=t
t=55
so
x=3.33333(55)+(1/2)(.444444)(55)^2
and
x=855.5
lol same answer and it is still wrong so what is my mistake now.

Okay nm I figured it out the wind speed was only providing lift it was not acting on the plane as if the plane was a particle so after solving for T=55 I simply needed to plug it into x=(1/2)(.44444)t^2.

That was tricky

1. What factors determine the required runway length for a plane to takeoff in windy conditions?

The required runway length for a plane to takeoff in windy conditions is determined by the wind speed and direction, the weight of the aircraft, the type of aircraft, and the temperature and altitude of the airport.

2. How does wind speed affect the required runway length for a plane to takeoff in windy conditions?

Strong winds can create turbulence and decrease the lift of the aircraft, making it more difficult for the plane to takeoff. As a result, a longer runway may be needed to provide enough space for the plane to gain enough speed and lift to takeoff safely.

3. Why does the weight of the aircraft affect the required runway length in windy conditions?

The weight of the aircraft affects its ability to overcome the resistance of strong winds. A heavier aircraft will require a longer runway to gain enough speed and lift to takeoff, as it will have a harder time overcoming the wind resistance.

4. How does the type of aircraft affect the required runway length for takeoff in windy conditions?

The design and size of the aircraft can also play a role in the required runway length for takeoff in windy conditions. Larger and heavier aircraft, such as commercial jets, will generally require a longer runway compared to smaller and lighter aircraft, such as private planes.

5. Is there a standard formula for calculating the required runway length for takeoff in windy conditions?

There is no standard formula for calculating the required runway length for takeoff in windy conditions, as it depends on various factors such as wind speed, temperature, altitude, and aircraft weight and type. Pilots and airport personnel use specific charts and tables provided by the aircraft manufacturer to determine the appropriate runway length for takeoff in different weather conditions.