1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is my mistake?

1. Jan 14, 2005 #1
    The Warrior can take off when its airspeed (speed of the air flowing over the wing) is equal to 100 km/hr. What is the length of runway, in meters, required for the plane to take off if there is a 12 km/hr head wind? Note: the shortest runway at the Rochester International Airport has a length of 1000 m. Take the acceleration from the the answer of the previous question. The acceleration from past problem was .444444444444444m/s^2

Okay so first I set
    then 112=.444444444t
    convert 112 to m/s
    then I use that time in
    and solve for x right? and I get
    855.57m as the length of the runway but this is incorrect so where exactly is my mistake?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A head wind means the wind is hitting the windshield (and the front of the wings). A tail wind means the wind is hitting the tail (and the back of the wings).

In other words, while sitting still, the plane has an airspeed of 12 km/hr (not -12 km/hr)
  4. Jan 14, 2005 #3
    so then...
    lol same answer and it is still wrong so what is my mistake now.
  5. Jan 14, 2005 #4
    Okay nm I figured it out the wind speed was only providing lift it was not acting on the plane as if the plane was a particle so after solving for T=55 I simply needed to plug it into x=(1/2)(.44444)t^2.

That was tricky
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?