News Where is the line in Political Cartoons?

• Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Well I heard Sharpton earlier on MSNBC interview with Kieth Olbermann, and honestly he no longer has any good reason to proceed with more action against The Post. Except of course he is revving his engines still.

Yes The Post was insensitive and now they are aware. And if they aren't they are so tone deaf they can't tell when the orchestra is tuning their instruments or playing a symphony. Were it to happen again anytime soon, then maybe Sharpton might have a broader issue. But they haven't, and I don't see that he does any more.

The idea that Sharpton now expects to make demands on how The Post will run its business, is a bit over the line. The Post has no debt to Sharpton after acknowledging his point in the public dialog. Regardless of how insensitive they have been about racial depictions, it is enough to have the apology. The issue is not discrimination against blacks at The Post, though maybe minority participation may be deficient. The issue was minority affront. That The Post finally stepped up with a bit more class than the first self-servingly feeble apology and I think that should at last be enough.

Let's get on to more important things like fixing the economy and trying to repair the country after the last 8 years of Republican sponsored rot.

LowlyPion

Homework Helper
Well the people at the Post aren't the only ones with a tin racial ear apparently.

Watermelons on the South Lawn instead of Easter Eggs?
Community reacts to mayor's watermelon e-mail
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/mail-grose-city-2318359-price-mayor [Broken]

OK. So it's not a cartoon. But it is un-funny like the Delonas cartoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Racist, sexist, poor taste, not funny (I'm offended by unfunny jokes), religious-phobic, bias, and stupidity.

People have a right to free speech, I do NOT have a right to be protected from being offended.

Cartoons, media or speech. Bring it on. A free society only works if everyone is free, even if you don't like what they have to say or think it is in poor taste. Censorship is a waste of time, and hurts more than it can help.

At least being offended makes people talk and hopefully think.

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Racist, sexist, poor taste, not funny (I'm offended by unfunny jokes), religious-phobic, bias, and stupidity.

People have a right to free speech, I do NOT have a right to be protected from being offended.

Cartoons, media or speech. Bring it on. A free society only works if everyone is free, even if you don't like what they have to say or think it is in poor taste. Censorship is a waste of time, and hurts more than it can help.

At least being offended makes people talk and hopefully think.

I have a right to let people know when I'm offended though

I have a right to let people know when I'm offended though
By all means. I encourage it. This is where debates emerge from. Conflicting points of view.

But telling them so does not mean they have to accommodate you. Nor should you expect it.

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
But telling them so does not mean they have to accommodate you. Nor should you expect it.
Hey, I have a right to expect that they have to accomodate me!

Alfi

Hey, I have a right to expect that they have to accomodate me!

I know I do.
Hey, someone has to expect it. Why not me?

LOL :rolleyes: