1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where is the net force zero?

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge of 2.21E-9 C is placed at the origin, and a charge of 3.78E-9 C is placed at x = 1.60 m. Find the position at which a third charge of 2.94E-9 C can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero.

2. Relevant equations
    Coloumb's law

3. The attempt at a solution

All 3 charges are positive, so for the net force to be zero, I believe that the 3rd charge will go in the middle of the other 2 charges.

+q1 |----1.60m - r -----| +q3 |------ r------| +q2

Knowns:
    q1 = 2.21 x 10^-9 C
    q2 = 3.78 x 10^-9 C
    q3 = 2.94 x 10^-9 C
    r (between q1 and q2) = 1.60 m

F1 = F2

the k and q3 both cancel, leaving me with:

q1 / (1.60m - r)^2 = q2 / r^2

I cross multiplied, giving me:

q1 / q2 = (1.60m - r)^2 / r^2

This is where I think I'm having a problem. From this point, I found 2 different answers, and both turned out to be wrong: 0.91m and 1.05m (both from q1). Can anyone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You didn't completely "cross multiply" (and I dislike that term). You did multiply on both sides by the denominator on the left, (160- r)^2. Now multiply on both sides by the denominator on the right to get (q1/q2)r^2= (160- r)^2. Multiply out the square on the right and you a quadratic equation to solve for r.

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    So if I multiply the square out on the right, there'll still be an r on the left side.

5. Sep 5, 2015 #4
    My physics professor said to avoid using the quadratic equation in this situation. Where am I going wrong?

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    Anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted