"Where No Hare Has Gone Before"

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
In summary, a Star Trek-themed matte painting can be difficult to create, and some of the piping in the original painting has an Escher-like quality.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
deltavega.png

"I knew I should have taken that left turn at Aldebaran!"

As of late I've been trying my hand at recreating some of the matte paintings used in the original Star trek series as 3D renderings.
Above is first one I did. It turned out to be a bit trickier than I first thought. Since this was a painting, the original artist was a bit free with his perspective lines. No matter how I placed the camera or adjusted the focal-distance, I couldn't get my 3D models to line up the same. Also, some of the piping had an Escher-like quality, with connections that just wouldn't work in reality. Adding Bugs just struck my whimsy. He is a full 3D model of my own making with armatures to make him posable.

Rigel_VII.png

Looks like Marvin got himself some new digs.

Rigel VII fortress from "The Menagerie" (also used in a later episode as something else) I kind of felt that Marvin the Martian would feel at home here.
This was my first attempt of using the "fur" feature of blender to create a ground cover vegetation effect.

Janus_VI.png

"The Devil in the Dark"

Underground mining facility from the Episode of the same title ( To get the "gag" look about 1/3 of the way from the left at the bottom of the image.)

No Looney Tunes characters in the next two ( but If I can do a good 3D model of Daffy Duck, I could add "Duck Dodgers" into either of these.)

Eminiar_VII.png

Eminiar VII from "A Taste of Armageddon"

The figures in the image are posable 3d models imported from Daz-3D. I did very little with them other than posing them and a little adjustment to the clothing textures.

Starbase.png

Starbase 11 from "Court Martial"

Base human figures were imported as before, but this time I fashioned the Star fleet uniforms they are wearing.
With this one and a couple of others above, I added a slight focal blur effect that softens the details of objects in the distance. It serves tow functions: It adds to the feel of "depth" and makes it so I don't have to spend too much time and effort of adding all the fine details to the distant objects.
Another one where the perspective lines gave me headaches. I compromised with this one. Some of the modeled objects in this scene aren't exactly made "square" so that I could preserve the look of the original.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt, Evo, Klystron and 5 others
Science news on Phys.org
Nice, but why is the lighting so DARK in all of them?

phinds said:
Nice, but why is the lighting so DARK in all of them?
Your right, the posted images do look a bit dark. The originals renderings looked somewhat lighter. I went back and adjusted the brightness a bit for the images in the first post. I'm not exactly sure what caused this. It might be due to the fact that when I render them, they are against a dark grey background, and here they are against a bright white one. So what looks good in terms of brightness during the render looks dark in contrast here.

Likes phinds
Janus said:
also used in a later episode as something else
Requiem for Methuselah. Flint's digs.

Vanadium 50 said:
Requiem for Methuselah. Flint's digs.
Give the man a cigar! The Eminiar VII matte was also used as Scalos in "A Wink of an Eye ", and the "The Devil in the Dark " painting was used in " The Gamesters of Triskelion "
Waste not, want not.

Fourteen quatloos foe the prisoners!

Janus, I *love* them!

While the background for this one isn't from a ST matte painting but a HDRI instead, it is another ST-Looney Tunes mash up."Be vewy quiet, I'm hunting twibbles!"
elmer_2.png

Likes Evo, Bystander and Vanadium 50

1. What is the premise of "Where No Hare Has Gone Before"?

The premise of "Where No Hare Has Gone Before" is that Bugs Bunny and other Looney Tunes characters are on a mission to explore space and face off against an alien villain named Marvin the Martian.

2. Who are the main characters in "Where No Hare Has Gone Before"?

The main characters in "Where No Hare Has Gone Before" are Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Yosemite Sam, and Marvin the Martian.

3. Is "Where No Hare Has Gone Before" based on a previous Looney Tunes episode or movie?

No, "Where No Hare Has Gone Before" is an original story created for the Looney Tunes Show.

4. What scientific concepts are explored in "Where No Hare Has Gone Before"?

"Where No Hare Has Gone Before" touches on concepts such as space travel, alien life forms, and the use of technology in space exploration.

5. Is "Where No Hare Has Gone Before" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Where No Hare Has Gone Before" is a family-friendly cartoon that can be enjoyed by all ages. It contains mild humor and no inappropriate content.