Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Where on Earth someone is

1. Jun 1, 2018 #1
    I saw the following question in Yahoo Answers,

Is it even possible to know this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2018 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you have the time in UTC, sure.

4. Jun 1, 2018 #3

DrClaude

But with what error bars?

If you have no orientation information (which way is North?), then there is quite a wide band of longitude+latitude solutions, mirrored on each hemisphere.

5. Jun 1, 2018 #4

russ_watters

Accurate enough to navigate a ship in the 19th century...
    Good point; you would have to know the hemisphere, which maybe you could see from context in the photo.

6. Jun 1, 2018 #5

DrClaude

Not without a compass :smile:

My point is that at any given time, the same stick length will give the same shadow length at many points on the globe. If you have no information on the orientation of the shadow, there is not much you can say.

7. Jun 1, 2018 #6

russ_watters

Oh, you don't just mean the hemisphere. Yes, I see you're right; to get the longitude from the azimuth of the sun, you need the actual angle from north.

and...now that I think about it, without longitude (and with it local time) first, the altitude doesn't tell you latitude either.

8. Jun 1, 2018 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

The azimuth just positions you somewhere on a circle that is centered on a point where the sun is directly overhead. A compass heading could position you on that circle.

Edit: if the ground is not level, your navigation could be way off.

9. Jun 1, 2018 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

The one with the penguins in, perhaps.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted