Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where order comes from

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    This comes from Stenger's book the Fallacy of Fine Tuning. This passage doesn't look correct to me. I don't think it explains where order comes from, and I have a feeling that he's leaving a lot of details out

Thus the universe starts out with maximum entropy or complete disorder. It begins with zero information. It has no record of anything that may have gone on before, including the knowledge and intentions of a creator. If a creator existed, he left no record that survived that initial chaos. Once the universe exploded into the inflationary big bang, the entropy in any volume less than the Hubble volume is less than maximum, leaving room for order to form

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Well, it is definitely incomplete. To demonstrate order, you do have to demonstrate where that low-entropy state came from. And that is sufficient.

I do not have the book, however. I am assuming he explains how inflation is able to generate a low-entropy state?

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3
    A quick search reveals that he's an author of other books like: God: The Failed Hypothesis, The New Atheism, Quantum Gods, Has Science Found God?, and some others. Sounds to me like there might be an agenda behind his writings, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were indeed "alot of details" left out.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Ahh, and here I was giving the author the benefit of the doubt!

I should mention that there isn't actually a firm answer to the question I posed. There are potential answers, but no firm ones. If the author was sufficiently nuanced elsewhere, it would, nevertheless, have been understandable. But it's patently clear to me that he's an absolute crackpot based upon those books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook